(RAID) Two quick Q and new product -- CALDIGIT RAID CARD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phildog33, Mar 4, 2008.

1. phildog33 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Ive been waiting to buy the Apple raid card for a while now.
    Ive always wanted Raid 5 with 5 drives or more and the apple card only letting me do four internal....

1) How is this Caldigit card
    http://www.caldigit.com/RAIDCard/

Looks really cool.. Its the same as Apples (battery backup, cache, good specs) but then lets you use external drives as well.. up to 16 of them.. perfect

2a) Whats the best way to utilize that extra bay under the optical drive? I dont need another DVD burner.... Is it worth it to change HD1 with a 10,000 rpm drive.. lower capacity for much better performance?

2b) Related to above.. ON the apple raid card or the caldigit.. can one of the extra sata ports with cable ( HD located under the optical drive)... be utilized in the RAID setup... Or do HDs have to be hard plugged into the MB?

Im using now all Hitachi 1TB drives and just straight SATA. Speed is good and space is good. I know Raid 5 will double my speed... but that 10,000 rpm 160gb boot drive.. is it worth it???

P

Im using all Hitachi 1tB drives connected just SATA now

2. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

after resesarching, it seems that the caldigit does everything the Apple card does but its cheaper and adds ext ports

p

3. sirris101 macrumors member

Features and price-wise, I too am excited about the CalDigit card. Unfortunately, it's not for sale yet.

I call CalDigit and they said soon. I also asked if it would work natively in Mac OS X. The guy said yes and I asked how. I seemed to gather that it would use the same drivers as the Apple card, but have the added benefit of also working in Windows.

For me, this was a clear win for CalDigit vs. the Apple card. CalDigit gives you Windows and Mac support, external ports for about half the price.

4. Virtuoso macrumors regular

No - one of the CalDigit guys confirmed in a post on CreativeCow that it won't use the extra motherboard ports. They expect to be shipping them in a couple of weeks. I'll be getting one as soon as they're available.

5. Mastershredder macrumors member

6. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Well if they say half the cost of the apple raid card, then i'm guessing $400. However, if you plan on running 5 SCSI drives, i dont think you'll care so so much over 1-200 bucks :p

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That is indeed very promising! :)

Looking forward to seeing the first review.

8. Sharky1337 macrumors newbie

Internal drives bootable???

Did they say it would just work in Mac OS X, or is it like the Apple Raid card where you can actually boot from the Raid card's internal drives?

9. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Qjuu macrumors member

I'd be interested in knowing if this raid card has the same sleep issues as Apple's raid card! I've called Apple's tech hotline and got an affirmation: Mac Pro won't sleep with Apples raid card! Any information about the Caldigit card about this subject?

And, will it be sold in europe?? Did't found any hint about that.

11. sirris101 macrumors member

I'm not entirely sure, but they guy the phone seemed to lead me to believe that it work for a boot drive in Mac OS.

I want to be clear on pricing: my half off guess was just an estimation. Whatever the final price will be, it will be less than the Apple RAID card.

12. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Can OsX be booted from external disks with this card and does it support s.m.a.r.t. from those external disks?

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I don't own this card yet, but I'm sold on it. I've even heard great things about their lower-end SATA cards (great speed, above all).

And look at it this way -- with the HDs in an external enclosure, there's less heat inside your Mac Pro.

14. Rick Here macrumors member

Beware - The Cal Digit card
    Note: Does not currently work in an 8-Core machine. CalDigit is working on a fix...
    http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_ST_CC

Does anyone know what the battery backup option costs?
    I bet it is a few hundred dollars.
    This is absolutely needed for RAID5 operation. Without the battery you are exposed to data loss.

15. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

wow.. thanks for pointing out before we all purchased them.. lets wait then

16. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

just ps. i called them today and its delayed another month

now shipping in June

Phillip

17. Play4keeps macrumors regular

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've been having difficulties finding the right RAID card myself.

The CalDigit card looks to be a decent card. It will boot in OS X, Windows Vista, and Linux.

The site indicates one small caveat though. A separate boot drive is required when using Boot Camp. This is a problem for me, but may be the only choice in the end.

Sonnet cards cannot be booted off of. Driver support only. Other than that, they work well.

The other possibility I've located, is Areca's ARC-1680 or ARC-1212 or 1222 series cards. These will also boot, but currently they are having problems with Boot Camp and haven't yet figured it out according to an e-mail I just received.

If anyone knows of any other possible cards, please list them.

P.S. CalDigit is currently accepting phone orders as well. (5/5/08 anyway ).

20. mgsarch macrumors regular

The CalDigit card is still unavailable, I was just told June release date. This is pushed back from their claim of an April release date.

If the card matches their claims (which exceed the Apple Raid card) why can't they manage a release? There is hype surrounding this card on many forums yet no one has even seen one. I'm starting to become very skeptical of CalDigit and I'm worried my own enthusiasm was just some viral part of this hype mechanism.

I'm going to go with the Highpoint, I'm looking for a good price and the card is out in the wild and working. Do I really want the first batch of a brand new card that can't seem to make deadlines without any apparent reason?

21. funckdren macrumors newbie

22. Fuji2008 macrumors newbie

I am on the same boat. And I believe I am going to get ARC-1680 rather than waiting for caldigit. Now, I saw this FAQ post in ARECA's page.
    http://faq.areca.com.tw/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=353
    And I assume it is probably you that asked this question :)
    Have you got any more information as to "a problem" with bootcamp?
    What is exactly the problem they are having?
    Is there any chance that the recent EFI firmware update solves the issue?

Well, the issue with bootcamp may not be a correct way to phrase the situation. Maybe they are having an issue with CSM in Apple's EFI.
    Anyway, I would really like to get their update. Please ping them to get us more info!

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, that would have been my question. (I sent it as an e-mail). I've also contacted them on the ARC-1222 about the same issue. The response as expected, was the same.

The details weren't given. They only stated that at this time, it will not work with Boot Camp. This is a deal breaker for me. I have software that just isn't available for a Mac, and need the ability to use Boot Camp. (The program is a resource hog on its own, and would be compounded in Fusion/Parallels). Though I'll still try it! :p

My original post was on 5/11/2008, so I wanted to give them ample time to solve the problem. (Keeping fingers crossed).

The CalDigit card will work, but there are limitations. An OS drive must be used, and attached as a JBOD, leaving only three available internal drives for RAID. According to a person I spoke with, I could, and would likely use the original SFF-8087 connector on the logic board to attach the OS drive, one for a blu ray (replace the stock Super Drive), and two for eSATA. You cannot boot the OS from the RAID itself with this one, if you are so inclined.

At this point, another month is no big deal. I've already put off buying anything because of all this mess. (Switching sucks! :eek:) I think I will wait until Jan 2009 for the MacPro update. Enough time should pass at that point for the RAID vendors to sort out the bugs. :)

24. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

High Point Technologies have nice cards to, they are axtremely fast and reliable.