RAID Utility for OS 8/9

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by bunnspecial, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I recently came into possession of a G3 Minitower Server(so designated on the front).

The system has three hard drives. From System Profiler(OS 8.6), it has 9gb drive on and two 4.5 gb drives on a 68 pin bus. Tracing cables shows that the two 4.5gb drives are 68 pin, and connected to a PCI SCSI card. The third drive is in the "normal" location above the PSU, and appears to be on the 50-pin bus. Interesting enough, however, all appear in system profiler as being on the same bus.

In any case, I wanted to do format and do a clean install. Something strange seems to be going on, as in System Profiler the drive the make and model of the drive is show but it displays a prominent "No mounted media inserted" warning.

There are three drives on the desktop, all of which show the SCSI logo as their icon.

Since the current configuration really isn't that much use to me, I'd really like to reconfigure it. Ideally, I'd like to put the two 4.5gb drives in RAID 0, and keep the larger 50-pin drive on its own.

I attempted to re-initialize the drives(including the unmounted one) using Drive Setup from the PM G3 restore disk(OS 8.1), but was given a warning message that the drives had been initialized using a non-Apple utility.

So, I guess my question is-is there some utility that I can use to re-initialize the drives in the RAID configuration I want, and then get a fresh start with the 8.1 restore disk? I hope my question at least make some sense.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, 10K drives are LOUD in these systems.

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

FWB software was my go to disk utility company back in the day. They made a formatting utility called Hard Disk ToolKit. The Macintosh Garden has some of their items available. Click

Hope this is what you're looking for.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll give it a try-thanks! It will be Monday before I can report back, as I'm out of town at the moment.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

FWB seemed to get the job done. I was able to make a striped array with two of the disks.

Unfortunately, it seems as though one of the drives may be dead. I have a pair of 4.5gb Quantum Viking II drives. One of the two drives is recognized-both by the native OS disk utilities and by FWB-but I was not able to mount it and FWB would not initialize it. Fortunately, the other one works fine.