RAID vs storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ackerman651, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Ackerman651 macrumors newbie

Would you go with two 128gb SSDs in a RAID setup or one of those paired with a traditional 500gb drive?

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Depends on what your are trying to accomplish and how big your budget is.

3. Ackerman651 thread starter macrumors newbie

A little more convenient storage but the more I use a SSD the harder it gets to want to go back to a traditional drive. I can afford the 100 dollar difference but my main concern is the longevity of SSDs. Read a lot of conflicting opinions and I write to my drives a lot so I don't wanna have them dying on me in a few years.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Your SSD will likely die from other causes than you writing it out too much: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/6

Besides, in a few years, it'll be cost-effective to replace that drive with a different one that costs less, has higher performance, and more space and you can stick that other drive in some old laptop to breath new life into it.

5. rebby macrumors 6502

In that case, do what I did. I installed a 256GB SSD and a 7200RPM 750GB drive. The best of both worlds. I keep the OS and my "working" files on the SSD, all other data goes on the spindle drive.

Don't worry about the longevity of the SSD. It will last far longer than you're going to want to use it anyway.

6. Ackerman651 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ rebby - that's what I was leaning towards but like I said, the idea of going back to a regular drive is hard for me after using a SSD. Noise, heat, speed.. how are all those after you put the second drive in?

7. rebby macrumors 6502

No noise or heat to speak of really. I put my spindle drive in the Optibay (some will suggest doing it the other way around). Works great. I keep my OS and most accessed files on the SSD so speed is great. The only things that get stored on the spindle are files that are too large to fit on the SSD (like virtual machines) anyway. In this case, having an internal SATA drive is a much faster option than using something external. It really is a nice combo. Sure, I'd prefer a 1TB SSD but...