Raid with 2 External HD's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a 250GB Western Digital Ext. HD, I just picked up a 1TB Western Digital Ext. HD. I hate to have the 250gb sit around and do nothing, So my question is, Can I hook them together somehow and make them act as 1. I know both of them have multiple ports on the back, Just a thought.

2. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Why don't you use the 250 GB as a portable solution? It's pretty small compared to the 1TB. Think of it as a mega flash drive without flash memory. Besides, I don't think you'll need more than 1TB or storage, and the extra HD could be a space waster on your desk.

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

True, but I have a 160GB portable HD I use for school and work, plus the
    250gb has a power adapter which is a pain. The 250GB prob wont make or break me as far as space, I just hate to see it do nothing lol

4. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. I would hate to see it useless... Try maybe giving it to a friend/family member with a PC- tell them PC hard drives go bad quickly, or you could give it as a present to someone who has leopard and use it as their time machines. Or, there's always Ebay.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

There is really no way to combine the two drives, but I can't think of a reason that you would really want to do that. I would just use it as another back-up drive or I would sell it.

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Terminology thing...

RAID would not be what you're looking for. If you want to stick them together to look like a 1.25 GB HDD, you're looking to create a spanning volume set.

If you were really doing RAID, it would turn the 1TB drive into a 250 GB drive so that either the stripes or the mirrorset would be identically sized.

As far as how to do it, that's another story. :) It would probably be best to use the two as separate drives. If you span the drives into one large drive, and one of the two fail, you could lose everything depending on how you set up your partition table, etc.

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

One solution would be to partition your 1Tb into 4x 250gb drives so your desktop would then show 5 drives of 250Gb capacity. Then organise your housekeeping to say have music files on one, personal data on another etc. etc.

Just a thought but may be an idea.:)