RAID1 Time Capsule mirror

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alxjms92, Mar 25, 2014.

1. alxjms92 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a system to manage my data. Currently my '11 MBP (320GB internal) backs up to an external 500GB Time Capsule, with another 500GB drive used to store archival type files (movies, finished projects, music, etc).

I'd like to:

A. Increase the Time Capsule's size
    B. Have the archival drive 'backed-up' in some way

I'm considering the possibility of a 2x2TB RAID1 mirror wherein drive 0 is partitioned into a 1TB Time Capsule and a 1TB archival partition, with drive 1 mirroring these.

Is this a good solution? Is it even possible? Should I just install an internal drive large enough to contain core and archival files and buy a single external drive for Time Machine?

I'm new to all this, so any input on which option is best/easiest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

TC is limited in what you can do with it. I'd say you're looking at a NAS for such capabilities (see Synology) or a DAS if you want a direct connect.

3. ColdCase, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you simply want a second (or more) copy of your TimeMachine backup data on a second drive for redundancy, TimeMachine will do that for you directly. No need for a RAID. You can alternate backups between two (or more) destinations.

TimeMachine will also include attached external drives in the backup if set up to do so.

I use both a time capsule and attached drive sized large enough for both the internal and external working drive. In the time machine settings I add the two destinations. Attached external drive are excluded by default but you can change that under the "options" menu. I exclude only the local backup drive.

Works well. I think the feature was introduced in 10.8... but I dunno. So many of the older guides won't mention it.

You can use something like CCC to do the same thing and with more flexibility. Much less money than a RAID box. RAID is more useful if you need much more performance than a single drive can provide or a massive amount of storage (>5TB) in a single box/disk. Thats not the case for backups for a couple machines, unless you have massive amounts of data to backup.

4. alxjms92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for a very informative and helpful reply.

Cheers ColdCase!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't like RAID for backups as when one drive dies (when not if), the array sometimes cannot be rebuilt and you lose data. Looking at an NAS is what you want to do!

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Although many here have has some luck with NASs other than Apple approved devices, if the OP is using TimeMachine to back up to a networked device, he should stick to a Time Capsule.

He can think about connecting a larger USB drive to his current time capsule or replace the current TimeCapsule with one of the newer 2TB or 3TB models.