Raid5 Setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbadalucco, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

My server that i currently have is seems to be on its last leg (4 years old with old slow hdd).

Anyway, I'd like to replace it but would rather just use my mac pro. I need about 4TB of storage space. Ideally I'd have one hdd to kick in if another began to fail. From my readings it sounds like I need Raid5 (correct me if I'm wrong).

I know this can be done but I've already used 3 drive bays that came with my mac pro, anyway I can setup a raid 5 and have the storage space?

I guess what I'm looking for here is some type of RAID card (Arcea 1210?) and then a storage solution. Once thats figured out, I'll need to know how to power the hdds.

Thanks

2. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

You can install two more drives in the MP if you use the optical bay.You can also look into a RAID card or an ESATA card and build an external enclosure. If you use the external enclosure you can pack as many drives as you want. All you need is a case and an AT power supply.

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

One of the most affordable RAID5 solutions is the MacPower Hydra. A few weeks ago, I setup one with a friend along with a Mac Pro for a costumer of his. For optimal throughput you'd need an eSATA card in addition. Watch out, there are several different models of the Hydra. (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hddmulti/hydra/comparison).

Another route would be the one I chose:
    Pick an ATX computer case with as many 3.5" bays as you need, an ATX power supply, and one or more SATA port multipliers.
    To make the power supply turn on right away when the main switch is pressed, cut the PWR_OK and one GND cable from the ATX connector and solder them together (you can also solder them to another switch, as I did).
    Put the power supply and your drives in the case, mount the port multipliers in the PCI slots openings, connect power and SATA.
    => The most affordable and expandable storage solution! :)
    The downside: Using this along with Apple's software RAID will only give you RAID0, RAID1 and RAID10.

I use one of this kind with my Mac Pro and I'm absolutely happy with it.