Raikun's iPhone Wishlist / Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raikun, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Raikun macrumors regular

New here, but I thought I may solicit a few concerns and desires I think that are shared by a few of us holding out for a 3G iphone or awaiting its imminent release.

I don't own an iphone but I have family and friends that do, and i had one for about a month. I gave it back to my friend who gave it to me to replace my broken phone and bought a cheap phone to use with my ipod in order to hold out for the new iphone. I'm looking forward to the next revision, and these are things i've been holding out for:

(Things in green are things that i find absolutely imperative for me)

Likely:
    - 3.5G (HSDPA 3G) Protocol - I need more speed, even in the apple store web browsing is so slow and clunky.

- Increased storage - I need something to replace my now broken ipod 30gb, which a nice 32gb iphone would do nicely. I only have about 15GB of music and really recycling old movie space is fine for me.

- MMS - Is there any reason why this isnt on the current iphone? For something iwht unlimited data it is absurd really that we have to resort to email. I think with 3G in the bag MMS will be a greater possibility.

- The ability to type in landscape! - WHY is this not already implemented? This is a simple software hack

- The ability to change the language to japanese - important for me as i would like to text friends in japanese, and it would reduce the likelyhood of me getting mugged for my phone (has worked in the past), and would mean a globalized iphone firmware and hardware. iPods can do this, so should iphones.

Less Likely:
    - Better camera - All it really needs is 1 mpx more and a larger lens. It would take awesome, digital camera esque snaps if it could do that. =]

- Flash - I need good pictures! Party pics on iphone would be awesome

- Better battery life - I'm going to use the iphone for my ipod and email on the road, i would love it if, like my ipod, i could use it for two days in a row as much as i do and it survive.

- Thinner - I love the iphone design but you cant help but feel that the ipod touch is a lot nicer. something half way in between would be great.

- Retainment of aluminium look- A plastic iphone would look too tacky imo, i would like a thinner version of what we have imo. All the touch screen smartphones atm are just polished slabs of plastic. Iphone is better than that.

Unlikely, but would be awesome
    - Video Calling - This would really really be immense.

- Two cameras - to facilitate video calling, one on front.

- Real GPS - this would basically hammer the nail on its head, i've been dreaming about GPS and navigation on the go for YEARS. This would be so cool for going abroad and exploring london (for me).

No chance in hell
    - Carrier free - this would be great. Fundamentally, though, apple needs its subsidies from its carriers, but really the phones are jailbroken and unlocked a lot so it might as well just charge a little extra for carrier free.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think there might be a possibility... what if the iPhone contract with AT&T only says "iPhone", who says an "iPhone Pro" can't be sold unlocked? Or what about if it says "current iPhone" or some jazz?

Maybe there's a contract loop-hole between Apple/ATT that would let it? :D

3. Raikun thread starter macrumors regular

that would certainly be the most sneaky thing apple has done to date

and that would be saying something!

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

One possible explanation is that not every applications are usable in landscape mode. Take Safari, for instance. When entering text form data in landscape mode, there's barely enough space to see what I am typing.

Apple should redesign and make the keyboard occupy less vertical space.
    Rather than higher megapixel, I would prefer cleaner, more accurately white balanced image. That said, many people equate higher mega pixel as better image quality (even though the opposite is generally true), so Apple will probably bump the camera spec.
    What's your brightness level set to? Most people have it set to mid level, which sucks the battery crazy. With auto-brightness set to on position, even 20% mark should be more than plenty.
    To me, the difference between 0.31" and 0.46" thickness isn't that dramatic. I would like to see the phone get smaller overall, but that would conflict with your extended battery life requirement.

As for the aluminum look, it should be revised with brushed metal (similar to MBA, MBP).