Rain Design mStand and Macbook Air 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oxfordguy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Hi - I'm looking for an ergonomic desktop stand to use with my mid-2012 13" Macbook Air (with the Apple Wireless Keyboard and a wired mouse), as suffer from back and neck ache, probably partially from working hunched over my computer. Lots of Macbook Pro owners seem to recommend the Rain Design mStand, but its not clear how well this fits a Macbook Air - they don't mention the Macbook Air as fitting this on the Rain Design website, for example. Does anyone use this stand with a 13" Macbook Air and could comment on how well it works with it?

Are there any other stands I should also be considering (this fold-up one quite appeals, though I think is aimed more at DJs than ergonomic usage)?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My wife and I both use 13" MBA's on mStands
    Works very well for us with no issues

We both came from 17" MBP's with the mStand and just swapped them out

3. dyn macrumors 68030

Bought one some years ago for use with a 15" notebook and now I'm using it for my Air 2012. Size wise it fits the Air perfectly. I only had 1 problem: the rubbers on the front part that stops the notebook from sliding off the stand are positioned above the Airs front ledge. That means the Air will rest against the aluminium. I simply pulled off the rubbers and mounted them vertically instead of horizontally. The Airs front ledge now rests against the rubbers (might need to redo it with some new rubbers though, make it look and work nicer). I cheated a bit because this is what I saw in the current version of the mStand so you should be fine when you buy one :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Same with mine, but I just don't slide my MBA down all the way :)
    Hasn't been an issue

5. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, sounds like the mStand is the way to go, I just hope that if I order one I get sent a newer one with which has the rubber pads on the front lip fitted vertically... I live in the UK so will be buying from a reseller, rather than direct.

6. JootecFromMars macrumors member

7. dyn macrumors 68030

That one is way too flimsy and it doesn't prevent the notebook from sliding down which has happened to quite a few people already. The mStand doesn't have these problems (it is 1 piece of aluminium and it has a lip). Both hold the notebook at a comfortable eye level though.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Would you recommend getting a mstand? 50-70 bucks seams pretty steep for what it is but I could see myself using it since i just got an external monitor. Do you see any increase cooling from it?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I bought on a few years ago to use with my 17" MBP and now with my 13" MBA
    I love it and it worked great with my 23" Apple Cinema Display and now my Thunderbolt

Yes, I highly recommend it

10. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I bought an mStand but ended up getting rid of it, the Air isn't opened too easily when used with the air (due to the air being so thin).

11. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought one recently for my MBA, think its great!

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The mStand will last you for years and years. I used it with my MBP 15, then MBP 17, after that with MBA 13, and now with rMBP. The only thing that does not seem to change on my desk is the mStand.