Rain mStand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Commy1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Hey guys, so I recently purchased a few accessories to complete my set up for school this September. One of them is the mStand from Rain for my Macbook 08 Aluminum 13.3". This is a short overview.

[​IMG]

First impressions aren't much to go off of, the packaging wasn't fancy or flashy, just a box to do the job. There isn't much to say about the stand as it is a single piece of aluminum without any moving parts or flashy bits.

The mStand is a solid piece of very sturdy feeling aluminum designed to raise any laptop up up to eye level. There are many strategically placed, high quality bumpers to keep the laptop from touching the metal and potentially scratching it. The same rubber is placed on the bottom for grip.
    On the top of the stand is a small Rain drop cut out which I presume allows a minimal amount of air flow, but seeing as how MacBooks don't draw air in from the bottom of the case it really doesn't matter. On back of the stand is a plastic lined hole cut out for cable management.

Overall I enjoy the simplicity and height, it's a product that will last, for conceivably a life time. The 60$ price tag is fair for the quality, not to mention the overall finish matches all Apple computer products perfectly.

Note:

The stand is NOT high enough on its own to accommodate a comfortable DJ set up with decks from Pioneer or other of similar size, not recommended for preforming.

----------

[​IMG]

This is my current set up with the Rain mStand and Twelve South Hoverbar for iPad (see review on iPad Accessories forum).

2. vandoorn macrumors regular

Nice review, thinking about buying the mStand as well. Looks great from your pictures.

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've had an mStand for several years now and I love the design and quality
    Highly recommend it

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I too have this stand and found it to be a great addition to my desk. It holds the laptop up away from possible spillage and keeps the display at a nice angle to work. :D

6. EricT43 macrumors regular

I've been thinking about getting that one. It sure looks nice.

I currently use the HiRise stand. I like the adjustable height, because it allows me to align the bottom edges of the two displays. But there's no stop on the front so positioning it correctly on the stand always takes a few moments.

7. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad others find it just as useful.

8. hkoster1 macrumors regular

Well, let me post a different experience, using it with my 15-inch retina MBP and an Apple Bluetooth aluminum keyboard. I was forever hitting the lower forward edge of the mStand with my hands when typing on the keyboard. That nice retina screen invites sitting closer to it than with other MacBooks, so pushing the mStand further away sort of defeats the purpose of having a retina display.

This bugged me so much, that I got a Thunderbolt Display and Book Arc combo instead.:D

9. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Whatever works for you, it sounds like a good set up.

10. EricT43 macrumors regular

Yes, that's a big disadvantage of using an external keyboard with only the laptop display! I got my stand with the intention of using my MBP as a 2nd monitor, but in practice, I rarely use it. I think I might get the Arc stand to clean up my desktop...

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Is there anything like the Rain stand but also has a built-in USB hub?

12. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

mstand + duct tape + USB hub FTW!

13. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I could see either working well. I don't so much use it as a second screen as my media machine. The Macbook has the sensor needed for the Apple remote, just hooked it up to some speakers and feel the wubs.
    If I used a monitor instead of the iMac I would have probably gone with the Arc as well.

----------

Not a bad idea :cool: I'm willing to bet with some DIY engineering you could mount a USB hub pretty solidly. I would mount it on the bottom of the stand with some kind of powerful glue, USB ports facing towards the user for easy plug in without clutter.

14. handlemyhansen macrumors member

i plan on getting the mstand very soon just can decide if i will get the original or the newer one that now rotates.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I had the same thought too. I do wonder if the spinning on the mstand would be annoying when accidental.

16. handlemyhansen macrumors member

thats what i am wondering, how easy does it spin? I like the idea of it rotating but if i bump it will it just send my laptop spinning.

I might just have to stick with the original since I'm not sure i will be needing to rotate it a lot.

17. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Both of the them get excellent reviews on amazon so the spinning must be well designed. As for me, I just picked up another monitor so may not have room after all for an mstand anymore.

18. handlemyhansen macrumors member

well i plan on getting one of the two options within the next week so i will post a review of whichever one i get.

19. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Great. I look forward to it!

20. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I didn't understand the mStand 360 until I looked it up, but I remain unimpressed by the method they took, placing a baring platter on the bottom. I don't see any lock mechanism on it so yeah, I would be worried about knocking it a little bit and sending the laptop hurdling into a glass of water or something spilling it all over my desk... not to be too specific.
    I enjoy the good grip the regular stand provides.

21. handlemyhansen macrumors member

just to confirm i looked at some amazon reviews and they said the same thing, that the stand was amazing but that the rotating aspect was too smooth that a slight bump would send the macbook spinning.

It would make since to have a locking mechanism on it or at least some friction so that it wouldn't have these issues.

22. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Is it sturdy enough to hold a 15" cMBP (like 5.5 pounds I think) with confidence. It would stay on the stand 95% of time and it would make to cry to see it snap and the Macbook die....

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Absolutely
    I have my 2013 15" rMBP on it right now
    And it used to hold my 17" MBP

It is a great stand (I've used others) and it is the only one I have liked
    Recommend it without reservation

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Okay, thank you! And sorry for all my typos...always proofread I guess. :p