Rainbow effect when looking at 3GS screen through polarized sunglasses

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyp, Jul 21, 2009.

1. heyp macrumors 6502

Whenever I have my polarized sunglasses on, I see the rainbow effect on my 3GS screen. I didn't have this issue with the 3G and was wondering if anyone else saw the same. I'm trying to decide if it's defective and I should exchange it or if all the 3GS screens are like this

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

that would probably be due to the coating on the screens.

3. tweekskratch macrumors member

I have some sunglasses like that. I can see rainbow ripples in some car's rear windows. It's weird. Might be just the screen's coating? Somehow I doubt it's a defect.

4. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I thought it could be due to the coating but I'm hoping someone else or a few would verify..I guess I could always cruise to the apple store w my sunglasses on, look like a douche, and check out the ones on display

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I see it through my polarized glasses sometimes too, but only from certain angles.

6. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it goes away for me when I tilt the phone at odd angles..unfortunately it's most pronounced when I view it at a normal angle

7. Resist macrumors 68030

This is why I hate Polarized sunglasses, I see rainbows from my car's tinted windows. It also blacks out my car's navigation LCD screen and LCD watch.

8. tweekskratch macrumors member

Never had the GPS problem, but it does distract me! Too bad they are really nice, otherwise I would go with junk sunglasses.

9. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it may be due to the combination of my screen protector and the olephobic screen. I say this because it appears to go away when I lift up the screen protector and because I had the same screen protector on my 3G and had no issues. I'm using the one that came with the fullbodyfilms.com pack which appears to be identical to a PS crystal film.

Is anyone using a screen protector on their 3GS that doesn't have this issue?

10. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I recently bought some polarized sunglasses and it makes many windows and screens look like a rainbow.

I can read my iphone screen when the phone is in portrait mode but when I turn it sideways for landscape mode, it almost goes completely black.

11. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

That's how LCDs work.
    The liquid crystals work with a polarizing filter to black-out illuminated pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

C.

12. violetgs macrumors newbie

13. mojo8472 macrumors member

The rainbow effect you see on glass surfaces when looking through polarised lenses is actually the stress left in the glass from its heat treatment.

Weird though as the iPhone's screen isn't tempered

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow sounds like a Major defect

I would run do not walk to your nearest Apple genius bar demand a exchange! :rolleyes:

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Polarized Lenses play have on many things ... LCD screens included.

I was riding a motorcycle that has an LCD display for the entire dashboard.

While wearing Polarized Sunglasses much of the display became unberable to read. A real danger while riding.

Even in the car Polarized lenses can play hell on GPS screens.

Dealer told me not to wear Polarized Glasses while riding. Manufactures of riding glasses do not make Polarized Glasses.

I no longer wear polarized lenses.

Your phone is not defective.

16. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Ditto. I see it; also in some windows and the back windows of cars.

17. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the responses... i've discovered its an issue with the screen protector i use and the 3GS screen... as stated above, i believe it's due to the olephobic coating as i had the same screen protector on the 3G and didn't see the issue

18. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I notice it on my 3G when I wear my polarized glasses. I think it's sweet. I use a anti-glare screen protector though, so that might be part of the reason.

19. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Even looking through tinted windows with polarized lenses on gives me rainbow effects sometimes.

20. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have a BSE on mine.. just thought I'd add that. :)

21. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I think the rainbow issue may just be with cheap polarized lenses. I see the same thing in car windows and on my 3G screen with my $20 polarized sunglasses, while my friend said he does not with his $150 polarized sunglasses.

22. violetgs macrumors newbie

23. iannufc macrumors newbie

iannufc

Best laugh I've had all day! Cheered an otherwise monotonous day at the office up, and for that you have my thanks! :D

24. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yes, that's how for decades I can determine if in fact sunglasses I want to buy are polarized. I just hold up the sunglasses and look at my LCD watch thru them and rotate them until the watch totally blacks out. That tells me they are polarized.

Mike