Rainbrow Is a New iPhone X Game You Control With Your Eyebrows

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Washington University computer science graduate Nathan Gitter has released Rainbrow, an eyebrow-controlled arcade game for iPhone X.

The simple game requires players to use their eyebrows to move an emoji face up and down the screen to collect stars, worth one point each, while avoiding other emoji obstacles such as cars, basketballs, and ducks.

[​IMG]

Simply raise your eyebrows to move the emoji up, frown to move the emoji down, or make a neutral expression and the emoji stays still. Note that if you raise your eyebrows, and keep them raised, the emoji will continue to move in an upwards direction, and vice verse when maintaining a frowning expression.

While there are no levels, the game gets increasingly difficult as more obstacles appear. The goal is simply to get the highest score possible, but players can only compete against themselves right now. Gitter told us that he plans to integrate Apple's Game Center for multiplayer competition in a future update.

Rainbrow is a novel concept since it's an early example of a game using ARKit, an iOS 11 framework that can detect the position, topology, and expression of a user's face in real time using the iPhone X's new TrueDepth camera system.

Gitter told us he believes there is a lot of future potential for face-based apps, especially for those that improve accessibility. He pointed us to another face-controlled game that was released earlier this week, Nose Zone, which tasks players with destroying targets by pointing at them with their nose.

Upon first opening Rainbrow, a prompt asks for permission to access the front-facing camera. As with any app, this permission can be toggled on or off at a later time in the Settings app under Privacy > Camera.

[​IMG]

Rainbrow's privacy policy, which all apps with face tracking are required to have, says that depth data is collected only for gameplay purposes, only stored on the device locally, and only for the duration of a game session. The policy adds that depth data is never stored remotely, given to third parties, or used for any non-gameplay purposes.

Rainbrow is free to download on the App Store for iPhone X. Gitter told us he may add an optional in-app purchase to unlock new emoji characters in the future, but he does not plan on implementing ads into the game.

Gitter works at mobile app studio SwiftKick Mobile in Austin, Texas. His personal website says he's available for iOS design and development work.

Updated: Lucky Kat Studios reached out to us after we published this article to alert us about its upcoming game Wacky Face, now available for pre-order on the App Store ahead of its December 20 launch.

Wacky Face requires players to wink or open their mouth to attack enemies. Like Rainbrow and Nose Zone, the arcade game uses both ARKit and the iPhone X's new TrueDepth camera system to capture facial depth data.

Article Link: Rainbrow Is a New iPhone X Game You Control With Your Eyebrows

2. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Took a while to get here been circulating on Twitter couple days well good game

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The game looks colorful except they messed up and left a chunk of black in the top red bar.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

OMG IT'S A PRIVACY NIGHTMARE! EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!

5. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

6. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Can't wait to see people playing this game on the subway

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

8. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

“Is that guy having hemifacial spasms?”

“No, he’s just playing an iOS game.”

9. Jon20001 macrumors newbie

Jon20001

Looks like he is having a seizure. Just what we need on a crowded train/sidewalk/restaurant -- people making silly faces while not paying attention.

10. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Shouldn’t it be called, “Wrinkle Express?”

11. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

And why not? The X is the only 'premium' priced phone with a 'mono brow' (notch) of its own!

Respect' man! Now you got your own game dedicated to your unique screen 'folly' innit! Yeah? Over the rainbow yeah?

Yeah. 'Sounds like it an' all!

12. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

13. neliason macrumors 6502

I’m creeped out by the whole thing, particularly the guy wearing a Santa shirt with a pentagram.

14. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

15. superduperultra macrumors regular

Progress, we'll all end up like the Axiom Humans in WALL•E soon enough.

16. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

You beat me to it! I thought I was the only one who thought of Daenerys :D

17. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

Imagine all the looks you will get from people. This game will be pricelsss in public!

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hang on while I make my neutral face.

19. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Doesn’t this only require a front facing camera? Does it really need a face map? For that matter I’ve seen videos of Animoji working with only the front camera exposed as well.

20. ErikGrim, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Stephen Colbert would like a word.

21. famousjerry macrumors newbie

famousjerry

Well this is one game i can't play. I honestly don't have eyebrows :)

22. Callander macrumors member

Callander

Can’t wait to see people play this while driving!

23. PsykX macrumors 6502a

If it requires a face map, I wonder if using the game for too long will hurt parts of the face, like how the Iris scanner found in the Galaxy S8 hurts the eyes when using it too many times.

On another note, could things like these be used to create Health apps designed to make you work and rehabilitate certain muscles, say lips from a semi-paralysed person?!

24. bcharleson macrumors member