Rainforest is worth more standing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jun 5, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I think a scheme like this is absolutely necessary. Whenever I see or hear how much rainforest we continue to destroy daily I find it quite incredible. It's like we're actually trying to slowly kill ourselves.

Course it's hard to blame the businessmen in the countries chopping down the forests. They're just doing what people the world over have already done and continue to do in plundering our planet for profit, and they're mostly doing it to sell to everyone else [around the world] anyway, just so that they can afford themselves the same standard of life that we already enjoy.

If we all insist on carrying on with business as usual, someone needs to pay these countries/people to keep these forests alive. We all need them after all.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well they don't exactly have the same standard of life that we currently enjoy by a long shot, but I know what you mean.

I agree, a scheme like that is necessary.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think the carbon trade could end up being a really all-around win for everyone.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Interesting idea. I guess the land owners get the money, so the value is in the preserved land.