Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
So, both my 360's have RROD on the same day. I'd like to believe it was something to do with a power surge, either that or the occult.

Since one of them was modded I've had to bin it.
Still don't know what to do with the normal one. I'm thinking about just selling it as broke with the return details (whatever they are). IMO PC gaming is getting better now, Quake Wars is fantastic and next month Orange Box is released which are going to take up all my gaming time.

There just isn't a 360 game that has pulled me in yet. Blue Dragon is my fave but it's just so boring now. Halo 3 might bring me back, a new Panzer Dragoon would too. Still got no chance of getting an internet connection to it either. Might be better off selling it and buying some more junk off Steam.

Decisions :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Get it fixed and then sell it. Wont cost you anything extra.

But yeah, it must have been a power surge or some such for two to go in one day.

I dont know why I'm lucky or fortunate because all the 360's I've had (3 so far including the one I traded up for the Elite for) never had any real serious problems.

Strange my friend. But yeah I'd suggest getting it repaired and then sell it if you must.

By the way...... The 'modded' one you had to scrap. I'm looking for a cheap second hand 20gb HDD for my core ;) If you have it for sale drop me a PM :)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Or it may have something to do with the 30% defect rate and nothing to do with a power surge.

Having quality hardware goes a long ways, just ask Nintendo and Sony as neither of them are billions in the red and digging deeper in to the red as MS has been DEEP in the red for two generations.

MS should have thought twice before allowing such shoddy hardware to be used in the manufacturing process of the 360.

Ed

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
There was no HDD on that one. I dunno about the other drive though, my bro might be having that. Still keeping the controllers :D fantastic of MS to let them be used on computers too.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
MS should have thought twice before allowing such shoddy hardware to be used in the manufacturing process of the 360.

Ed
It's not as if Sony's track record is perfect… note the exploding batteries, and the enormous failure rate of the PS2. ;)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
It's not as if Sony's track record is perfect… note the exploding batteries, and the enormous failure rate of the PS2. ;)

Funny but you can take both those issues and its still not as bad as the 30% defect rate in the 360's :eek: :p

You're right no company is perfect, but MS could have done a lot more than they did to prevent a 30% defect rate. That many systems failing is more than unacceptable.

Ed

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Yea, I'm thinking about getting a replacement then selling it locally.

Between a Wii and PC I'm sorted for games now. I've become re-addicted to the FPS genre :eek:

GTA might pull me back if it's not released on PC.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yea, I'm thinking about getting a replacement then selling it locally.

Between a Wii and PC I'm sorted for games now. I've become re-addicted to the FPS genre :eek:

GTA might pull me back if it's not released on PC.

A week after you sell it you'll be kicking yourself for some Halo 3 lovein ;)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
A week after you sell it you'll be kicking yourself for some Halo 3 lovein ;)

I thought that. But Quake Wars and TF2 :eek: I can still play my bro's 360. Awesome thing is he's got addicted to work and even goes in on Sunday. Just need the courage (disinfectant) to enter his room.

You should try the towel trick on your modded 360 since you can't send it in for warranty. Some people on the xbox forums have had good results with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dx1t1ZrZJ4

That's the second thing we tried! First being putting the 360 in the fridge for a few hours :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.