Raise to Speak? Is it there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musika, Oct 13, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

For the folks who have luckily received their 4s' early... Regarding the Raise to Speak feature of Siri we had seen in the hands on the other day... Is it there? Haven't seen it in any of the official reviews.

I hope it's there!

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

5. TwoBytes, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Doesn't work very well here... i've only managed to raise to my ear a few times and activate siri.

I'm wondering if i have a broken phone...

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

works fantastic. Put it to my ear, hear the Doo Doo from Siri and ask away.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You can turn it on in Settings > General > Siri > Raise to Speak. I find it works pretty well, but there is a noticeable delay between when you put it to your ear and Siri is active where you can talk to her. It's not long but it's enough to be slightly annoying.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think it works best if you press it down against your ears (because the contours of your ears might leak light affecting the proximity sensor used for this functionality).

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

i've pressed it hard to my ear and held it for 10 seconds and it's not working..i've got it to work a few times but it's crapping out on me now :(

I've tried restarting and it's not working at all

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

found the answer, you have to very very quirky put the phone to your ear in a fast movement.

If you put it to your ear slowly, it won't work as the phone doesn't recognise it's moving. Try it.
    It's VERY temperamental. I hope apple fix the sensitivity as if you're walking in the street, it's unlikely it will work.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16374403#16374403

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Not true. I can put it up to my ear at any speed. I've tried doing it as fast as possible without smashing my head and Siri works just fine.

Edit:
    Correction. If you go super slow (seems unnatural to me) then yes, it seems like Siri won't work like that.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Interesting, must be using the accelerometer, I figured it would use the proximity sensor. I guess that's explained my the "raise" in the name. Good tip.

13. TwoBytes, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

do you mean trying it slowly?

Try taking a walk and using siri - it almost never works. Even with all this knowledge, i have a 20% success rate using raise to speak

If you're having these issues and it doesn't work in real life whilst your walking down the street (not at a desk) tell apple here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

any users experiencing the same? Tell apple here before
    'in the news today, kid smashes their iPhone into their head to use siri'

14. erasr macrumors 6502

Definitely having a couple of issues occasionally when it doesn't detect it being lifted to my ear. Only when I'm trying to impress people too!!

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It doesn't work for me.

16. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Me too.... :(

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

17. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

18. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Do realize the phone needs to be unlocked for this to work (which is a good thing).

19. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'd be 99% sure that it uses the accelerometer but it might well use both. It might be looking for an activation of the accelerometer followed by an activation of the proximity sensor. That way, if you drop your phone or turn around suddenly while you have the phone in your hand browsing or playing a game, then Siri won't activate because the proximity sensor won't go off to complete the activation sequence.

- Julian

----------

I suppose so, but I think that for future iPhones Apple could do with looking for easier and easier ways to activate Siri quickly - getting it out of my pocket and putting it straight to my ear in a single motion would be something that I would really like.

Apple have a patent filed (I think) for making the back of a phone touch-sensitive so maybe one day it could look for an acceleration followed by a double tap or a swipe down or some sort of gesture on the back to activate it. Before that then maybe a cheaper solution might be to make the mute button mechanism in future phones more sophisticated whereby not only is it an up-down switch to do the mute but it can also be pressed in to talk (like cops do on their radios on all the TV shows). That would seem pretty natural to me although there would almost certainly be challenges with making the revised switch robust enough and maybe accidental in-pocket activation (although does the iPhone have a light sensor to help prevent that?).

Still, for now raise to speak is a very good first step in my opinion.

- Julian

20. Euki macrumors newbie

This.

Mine is doing the same thing. Worked OK last night but now raise to speak wont activate.

21. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

It's strange, maybe the proximity sensors got dirty after light use? Maybe something that wouldn't have happend in the apple labs...

seems like the only way to get it working is slamming the phone quickly into your ear violently so the iPhone is imprinted into the side head.

'siri, find me a hospital'
    'ok'
    'you bast*rd...this is your fault...'

22. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

23. Theraker007 macrumors regular

constantly stops working for me.. turn siri off then on again, usually fixes it.