Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Just got my Apple Watch yesterday. Liking it much more than I expected. I have had a problem with the raise to wrist feature though.

From what I'm aware, the raise to wrist feature should activate the screen from 5-10 seconds to see your watch face. Mine flashes for only a split second before shutting off. Am I missing something?

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
That's not normal. Try shutting it off/on. If you live close to an Apple store, I would go there and show an employee what is happening and see if you are able to reproduce the issue. It may just be the way you're wearing it or holding it up. Sounds weird, but the watch won't work correctly sometimes if it is on incorrectly.

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
You are sure you have the orientation set up correctly for right or left? "Watch OS uses your selection to determine the display’s orientation. It also helps your wrist gadget to determine when to wake the display."

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yes, about 25% of the time, the watch face just flashes
I find that sometimes when I raise my arm or flick my wrist that I inadvertently by reflex turn my wrist the other way right after I see the time. That makes the screen go off quickly. If you're raising your arm and holding it perfectly still the screen should stay lit for a decent amount of time. But a little movement in the other direction will turn it off.

As the others said if it really is just "flashing" turn it off and then on again.

Reactions: JSB1540

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Mine consistently will stay lit for about 6 seconds if I keep it elevated in the reading position. If I move my wrist in the opposite position the screen can turn of instantly. Overall it works rather well about 95% of the time.

If yours is not doing the same it might be time for a visit to the Apple Store.

ATS

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
North Carolina
Just got my Apple Watch yesterday. Liking it much more than I expected. I have had a problem with the raise to wrist feature though.

From what I'm aware, the raise to wrist feature should activate the screen from 5-10 seconds to see your watch face. Mine flashes for only a split second before shutting off. Am I missing something?
I had the same thing happen to me earlier today. You may just need to reboot your watch like I did. Hold the crown and rectangular button down simultaneously for about ten seconds. This should reboot your watch which will take about 90 seconds or so. Then you should be good to go. This is what worked for me when I had the same problem. Good luck!

herbieboo

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
Mine turns on instantly when I raise my wrist but only if I'm standing or sitting. If I'm lying down, this feature doesn't seem to work well, and I often have to tap the screen for it to go on. Has anyone else noticed this?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yes that's normal. It's the position you're in when lying flat or sideways especially. Just tap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.