Raise your hand if you went from Matte protector to naked

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Recently took mine off - MAN! I know the Anti-Glare is great because finger prints don't show and it tempers sunlight, but people TRULY forgetting how vibrant and beautiful the iPhone screen is!!! :D

It's like a psychological thing, I was so used to the "fogged" look the matte gave everything, that I'm still adjusting to the way the colors "pop" more on a naked screen.

It's like night and day, really. ;) Who else has done this?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
On my older 3G, I rocked the anti-glare for a while, and yes, you do kinda get used to it. It's great for no prints/smudges, but when I got bored of it, and went naked, it really was like night and day.
The 3GS screen is so awesome.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Did the same thing when I went from my 3G to 3GS and am very happy, especially with a simple wipe on my sleeve and the screen is clean. So far, no scratches. I make sure the pocket I use for the iPhone has no change in it.

patdesignsinc

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
I am currently rockin' the 3GS naked and have been since launch. However, I'm thinking about going with a matte protector because I fear the eventual wearing of the oleophobic coating...and yes, it's a "coating", it's not "baked" into the screen like some people think. So there will be an eventual wearing of the coating that will make it look worn.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I am currently rockin' the 3GS naked and have been since launch. However, I'm thinking about going with a matte protector because I fear the eventual wearing of the oleophobic coating...and yes, it's a "coating", it's not "baked" into the screen like some people think. So there will be an eventual wearing of the coating that will make it look worn.

Sorry guy, but there are thousands of people posting here with no oleophobic failures, no confirmed cases of that being a problem. As for the matte screen protector, it blows! I took mine off last week, and now truly enjoy my screen again. I have learned to treat my phone like I would my laptop, and don't beat on it like I would my old-school cell phones.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Sorry guy, but there are thousands of people posting here with no oleophobic failures, no confirmed cases of that being a problem.
Well guy... my 3gs has totally lost it's oleophobic protection. There are actually a lot of people saying the same thing. My screen doesn't look worn but the one wipe that used to clean my screen now takes 3-4 wipes like my 3g used to. That tells me mine has worn off.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Well guy... my 3gs has totally lost it's oleophobic protection. There are actually a lot of people saying the same thing. My screen doesn't look worn but the one wipe that used to clean my screen now takes 3-4 wipes like my 3g used to. That tells me mine has worn off.
Ok, I'll buy that it's possible for it to become less effective. I was referring to the theory that it rubs off to reveal a nonfinished surface. As for a lot of people, I would like to see a roll call on that one.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I've always used the mirrored finish screen protector. May try a matte one, though. OP: I thought you're rocking the Droid?

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
i loved how my iphone looked and felt the one week I removed my PS anti glare

but i also noticed it developed a light scratch after a week

so back to the PS anti glare protector :D

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I don't understand why this is such a tough decision for you folks. If you love the brightness and general awe of the naked screen, get a crystal screen protector. If you are that worried about finger prints, get the matte and suffer the consequences of living in fog 24x7. And if you feel that you don't need protection at all, then use neither.

I personally have had a crystal screen protector from the apple store on my 3GS since the moment i bought it. I can't see the thing on there, and I figured why not. I feel better about it not getting scratched, and it does not take away from the natural beauty if either the phone or the screen, so I'm happy.

mackmgg

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2007
Sorry guy, but there are thousands of people posting here with no oleophobic failures, no confirmed cases of that being a problem. As for the matte screen protector, it blows! I took mine off last week, and now truly enjoy my screen again. I have learned to treat my phone like I would my laptop, and don't beat on it like I would my old-school cell phones.
Mine is worn off. I have to rub it more then my old iPod touch 2G, and the finger prints in the middle still don't all come off. The edges are fine, but the middle is quite annoying.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I had a matte screen protector for like 6 months, I have it without a screen protector now. Going to enjoy the last months of my 3G before I get the new iPhone (2010).

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Love my naked iphone, but I do think that the real problem is DROPPING the phone without protection can have fatal consequences. ;)

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
This guy begs to differ...

I know, that was the main article I was responding to about the screen. That is the only image I have ever seen showing that. I responded to the engadget report that it was likely a screen protector that created that effect. No way million of iPhones out there, and this is a common problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.