Raised Home Button

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GeekPill, Apr 27, 2011.

1. GeekPill, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

GeekPill macrumors member

I have search the forum for this and didnt see any thread that would suit this. There was one about the glass raised to the side of the home button etc.

I got another iPad 2 yesterday after returning my faulty one more then 3 weeks ago (the fourth faulty one).

First of all I got this iPad 2 in the Apple Store and it only has a very small backlight bleed to it on the button right (no bigger then a tip of the little finger nail) So not as bad as the four ones before. (So it does look like the back light bleeding problem is getting better).

I noticed that the home button is raised about 0.1mm to 0.3mm, not much but still, not flushed as the faulty four and of course my iPod Touch 4Gen etc.

There is just a little nick around the sim slot but that just looks like someone as Fonncon wasnt paying attending at QC or inserting the sim tray. The black rim at the button right looks like it is slightly squad and there is a stuck pixel on White (so only can be seen on dark colours).

I am worried that if I get a replacement it could be worst bleeding etc.

What would you lot advice me to do?

Thanks

2. cteselle macrumors newbie

1-2mm is huge! got any picts of that? I can't imagine that getting through QC.

Bottom line, I feel if you aren't happy with it, return it.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I have the same issue with my home button but i just look past it.

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Same with all 3 iPad's I have had.

Same with every iPhone I have had as well. None issue imo.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There have been multiple reports of the glass distorting and not being flat around the home button.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Are you serious??? One to two millimeters is huge?? :rolleyes:

7. GeekPill, Apr 27, 2011

GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

Well all my other iOS devices the home button is flush to the front and not raised at all. But just pressing the home button a few times I has dirt. That the Genius saw. He agreed and went to get me another one, he came back with the brown box. I explained since it is just a day old that was not a suitable way to do it and he rang the Store manager and she agreed that I shouldnt be getting a refub as a replacement with a 1 day old iPad 2. He checked the system and they only had White left but thats not an option for me so I said no. He took my details and he would get the back of house to keep one aside for me. Hopefully I will get it replaced with one tomorrow.

I did push my luck and asked for a smart cover (that I got before and returned it when 3 weeks ago I just asked for a refund and explained that to one of the Store managers) but now not so much no freebies with anything to do with iPad :( but she (today's Store Manager) said that I will be given iTunes credit for the trouble. Which is win win as I love buying apps from iTunes and MAS. But ONLY will be given that when I get my iPad 2 replaced (so they must have learned that some people coned the system).

I will upload images later on.

It is a shame it only had around 2mm x 2mm bleed on it and isnt that bad.

Hopefully the replacement that I will be getting tomorrow and is 100% or close to that mark prefect.

Yes 0.1mm to 0.3mm isnt that much to some people but I have prefect vision. Plus at least Apple will be having on more refub either for sale via Online or Genius bar replacement.

And it will get Fonncon into more trouble. ;)

8. GeekPill, Apr 27, 2011

Yes maybe I made a mistake about 1 to 2 mm, lol but still out of spec and with a few presses it gets dirty (even tho I wash my hand all the time :rolleyes:). I wasnt going to get a ruler/ or other device out and touch the iPad with it just to make sure I post or say the right measurement. (dont hate me for that) Maybe abit under 1mm, into the 0.* mm range. But all I care about is getting a near to prefect one.

Maybe I should just take macro photos of everything I now get to check if its prefect.
    :eek:

EDIT Attachment deleted /EDIT

9. cteselle macrumors newbie

Yup, an iPad 2 is only 8.6mm wide, so a button raised ~20% of that is huge. Based on the pict however, I'm sure it's within spec.

10. GeekPill, Apr 27, 2011

As I said I made a mistake and it could only be a 0.1 to 0.3mm. Plus it is the Internet and most to all people just have to go over the mark a % or two. :p

Thanks for all the replies so far. :)

Or I could just blame a typo lol rather then mm its nm, that sounds better ;) lol

11. Mjmar macrumors 65816

12. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

What are your plans, are you going to get it replaced or you going to just not let it bother you.

13. Mjmar macrumors 65816

The button works fine, so I wouldn't really know what to say if I brought it into the apple store. I'm fine with it for now.

14. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

I should add that the Button works its just annoying.

I would be bothered with anything wrong with it. But thats just me :rolleyes: the raised button would annoy me to a point of OCD-ing lol.

I would recommend that you log the dipping of your home button to AppleCare over the phone so if it becomes a problem or annoys you later on at least have it reported and the Genius in Store or over the phone can see that it was there from the start.

15. SidBala macrumors 6502a

LOLWUT 1 to 2 nm?? Do you actually know what 1nm is? You have no idea do you? Go look it up, you will be surprised.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

17. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

HAHAHA One billion nanometers = 1 meter. Nice calculations OP!!!

18. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

No I didnt really think of it just put it down, just to take the mickey lol :rolleyes:]

But it would sound great to notice that much of difference.

Should really be 0.1 to 0.3 mm "Happy Now" :p

19. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

And you haven't made a mistake in your life? Mistakes happen and I would ask you not to flame.:mad:

20. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

100,000 NM to 200,000/300,000 NM, you happy now?

//Points to note some people just take pick at things rather then asking/telling an OP or any poster if they have the correct terms in an adult way you just p.

21. GeekPill thread starter macrumors member

It is only you three that had to flame, the rest of the members that posted on MY thread didnt take the p*** or as some would call it FLAME.
    :mad:
    IF you dont like MY thread your free not to comment of read it ever again.

MISTAKES happen NOONE on this planet is perfect.

Some people have commented on other threads that they have iPad 2 in the MB and mb, and most members had the understanding that some people just don't think when posting. This is an Internet forum and should not be classed as a school where we all have to have our posted commented and marked to see if terms, spelling and grammar is correct.

Yes nm was the wrong term but that doesn't give you the permission to take the action to start flaming or taking the p***.

So for YOU three FLAMERS 100,000 nm to 300,000 nm or 0.1mm to 0.3mm

I hope the rest understand this mistake better then you three.:mad:

22. yuvaloni macrumors newbie

Maybe it has something to do with the ipad's model,
    so what i recommend to do is to post a reply with your model number, details about your model and about the home button like this:

Model number: MD329HB

The New iPad (3rd gen) white Wi-Fi only 32 Gigs white color

Home button is in an angle: slightly raised on the right side and perfectly flush on the left side

and than you can compare your ipad with other people

You can find the model number under "settings" -> "General" -> "About"

Good luck :)