Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Is there a nice looking riser for the MBP? I use it constantly as a desktop replacement. It seems that if I put something (like a book) underneath the MBP, it runs much cooler vs flat on the table.

I don't want the mStand, etc since I am just running it in clamshell mode.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Is there a nice looking riser for the MBP? I use it constantly as a desktop replacement. It seems that if I put something (like a book) underneath the MBP, it runs much cooler vs flat on the table.

I don't want the mStand, etc since I am just running it in clamshell mode.

This is what I have - http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3860ZM/A

You can get it for a good price at Best Buy and the like, too.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
How about the BookArc? That's what I'm thinking of getting.

My apologies if the guy before me linked to this. Apple store is down right now (new Macs coming??? JK..)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
How about the BookArc? That's what I'm thinking of getting.

My apologies if the guy before me linked to this. Apple store is down right now (new Macs coming??? JK..)

I've looked at that as well, but it's a bit ugly and obtrusive. Also it's a headache to plug the cables in, then put it in the stand.

I guess I might as well build something myself.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've looked at that as well, but it's a bit ugly and obtrusive. Also it's a headache to plug the cables in, then put it in the stand.

There's the henge dock, but I don't find that elegant at all. As for cables, display/power/one USB>USB hub? Aren't you doing all that in your current situation?

I'll check for other things. I think BookArc and HengeDock are the only ones that stand it up. Since you said you didn't have much desk space I was thinking a vertical solution.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

I have standard Kensingtons...Not pretty, but they do the job. If you want style then how about the Hengedock? Not cheap, but looks nice, and does away with the cable issues too.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
There's the henge dock, but I don't find that elegant at all. As for cables, display/power/one USB>USB hub? Aren't you doing all that in your current situation?

I'll check for other things. I think BookArc and HengeDock are the only ones that stand it up. Since you said you didn't have much desk space I was thinking a vertical solution.

The Hengedock is a nice idea, but still, ugly and obtrusive.

I'm currently plugging in the power/thunderbolt/usb/audio ...takes about 3 seconds to plug them in. The MBP sits flat on the table and runs a bit hot. When I raise it, it runs less hot.

I have standard Kensingtons...Not pretty, but they do the job. If you want style then how about the Hengedock? Not cheap, but looks nice, and does away with the cable issues too.

I might have to look at some European or Chinese site, they might have something that looks good.

I'll post a link here if I come across it. Would've thought the people here would have an idea besides the BookArc, Hengedock, etc :)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The Hengedock is a nice idea, but still, ugly and obtrusive.

I'm currently plugging in the power/thunderbolt/usb/audio ...takes about 3 seconds to plug them in. The MBP sits flat on the table and runs a bit hot. When I raise it, it runs less hot.

I might have to look at some European or Chinese site, they might have something that looks good.

I'll post a link here if I come across it. Would've thought the people here would have an idea besides the BookArc, Hengedock, etc :)

Aren't you still plugging in the same plugs in the BA?

Either way, are you looking for a horizontal or vertical solution? There's a thread somewhere her about what stands users are using. I think I saw someone post a pic of their MBP in a business card holder.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Aren't you still plugging in the same plugs in the BA?

Either way, are you looking for a horizontal or vertical solution? There's a thread somewhere her about what stands users are using. I think I saw someone post a pic of their MBP in a business card holder.

Yeah, same plugs. I made it so that the cables all come from one place and are tight together so it's easy to plug without clutter.

I think a horizontal solution is ideal. It's just flat, which is nice.

I know there are "laptop coolers" out there that might do the job, but they're usually ugly.

I wouldn't mind a vertical stand if it was done well. I don't mind paying a premium if it's well made AND universal (so future MBP's support it).

----------

Hmm....

http://www.themadminds.com/collections/the-tilt

Last edited:

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
How about these?

That KoolSink looked pretty good, but I don't see how it can let more air flow underneath the MacBook.

How about this? Although I'd be worried it would slide off.

There's also these, but are kind of expensive.

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
i find those rainstands ugly as hell IMO of course

i like the look of the book arc. its SEXY and i know it

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The BookArc has removable rubber holder things. I'm guessing when the next model launches they will have a set to fit them.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I put the hinge edge of my MBP on a piece of wood about the width of the MBP (1x4x13) with a 1x1 strip nailed onto it about 2/3 the way across the 1x4 as a "backstop". Not fancy (could be stained, I suppose, or painted), but it works perfectly. Puts the MBP at a good angle for typing and I never have problems with heat buildup.

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
This

I like it :) I use it all the time :D

I can play Diablo 3 in Bootcamp, without the fans killing me, "only" at 4000rpm
everything set to max plus AA, native res

but the cooler fan USB is ugly as a hell...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.