RAM: 2GB vs 4GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neifichicken, Oct 14, 2008.

1. neifichicken macrumors newbie

I am definitely going to be picking up a new Macbook soon, but I just wanted to hear some opinions on processor speed and RAM.

Is it worth it to double the RAM (from 2 to 4) for 180 dollars?
    What about buying the macbook with 2.4 GHZ vs 2.0 GHZ???

What are the pros and cons?

My usage for laptops: Primarily just internet, music, watching videos, hooking it up to my TV and watching videos, office programs, and sometimes using stats programs (like mySQL or R). I might also occasionally dabble in some light video editing, such as turning small video files into GIF's

Advice?

Thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's still cheaper to buy it and install it yourself...

3. neifichicken thread starter macrumors newbie

how easy is that? I see the guide on this forum about RAM, but is it really that simple? I've never really done anything like this before

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

4 GB is still under $100 that is the same quality or better than from Apple.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep in mind it's DDR3 SODIMMs...

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There are very few people who actually need 4GB. Your use sounds like you won't need any more than 2GB.

8. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

There's a difference between needing 4gb, and finding 4gb to be useful.

None of the programs that the OP mentioned are especially RAM-intensive, but if he plans on using several at the same time, the 4gb could be very handy. I recently upgraded to 4GB, because my MBP would become a bit laggy when running several programs at once - Word, a couple windows of Safari, Skim (a PDF reader), and maybe iTunes and/or a torrent client in the background.

9. exo3001 macrumors newbie

is it even possible to upgrade RAM by yourself for the new macbook pros?

10. b_boy macrumors newbie

I think more importantly will these machines support more than 4 gb in the future when you'll really want it. Snow leopard promises 64 bit, but will these machines support more RAM?

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Currently with Transmit, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, NetNewsWire, iTunes, Safari, ImageWell and Adium running I'm not noticing any slowdown with 2GB. Activity Monitor says I'm using 1.6GB.

12. mac4matt macrumors member

If it's only $180 to upgrade from Apple, you might as well go that route if that's what you want/need. From what I've seen, the prices aren't much better for 1066Mhz DDR3 So-dimms from Newegg. (GSkill = $169)

13. applefriend2008 macrumors member

i thought it was $135 to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb ram on macbooks.

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

150 non student 135 student. The ram upgrade is actually worth it this time the cheapest i found was in the $160 range unless someone found it cheaper. Crucial 140 with it being so close in price i would just buy from apple

15. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Same here in Europe.... looks like the best deals from other internet shops are just a bit cheaper than Apple... so not worth the trouble.