RAM 8gb, 12gb, or 16gb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChevyHD, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ChevyHD macrumors newbie

Okay I just bought a 13" MB pro and i'm going to be using it primarily for photography. Editing photos in photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4. At any given time i'll probably have the browser open, itunes, and photoshop or lightroom. I just bought the model with 4gb. How much should I buy now though. Should I really get 16gb? Or just buy one 8gb and have 8x2 so 10gb of ram? Or an 8gb and a 4gb? I appreciate everyone's help here! Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8GB is most likely more than you'll need for what you describe. It's highly unlikely that you'd need 16GB.

3. ChevyHD thread starter macrumors newbie

So just buy the 8gb kit the 4gbx2 ? Or add 8gb to the 2 it has?

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

Most likely you have 2x 2GB sticks in it right now. Ideally you'd want a pair of identical sticks in there, but in practice, the difference in speed isn't noticeable if you put in 2 sticks of various amounts.

I'd recommend getting an 8GB stick and replace one of the 2GB ones (for 10GB total), because you can always add another 8GB stick later down the line when you want 16 :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are only 2 slots, so you'll remove the 1GBx2 sticks and replace them with the 4GBx2 sticks to achieve the 8GB. There is a slight performance benefit to using matched pairs.

6. ChevyHD thread starter macrumors newbie

So should it be the 2 4gb sticks or one 8gb and keep one of the 2gb in it now? How noticeable is the difference when using 2 different sticks? or from 8gb-10gb a small enough difference I should just go with the two 4gb stick? Thanks!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

8. ChevyHD thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i'm looking at the crucial RAM. I might just go with the 8gb kit that has two 4gb sticks. That or one 8gb stick for a total of 10gb. Just not sure how big of a difference i would really see.

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

If you want to get 16 at some point, getting an 8GB stick now would likely save you some time and money :p

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the bolded link I posted? That will give you an explanation.

11. ChevyHD thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah didn't notice the bold one. Just read it. Seems that for my needs having every second counts when dealing with large volumes of photos in photoshop and other editing programs. Looks like i'll be going with the matched pair of 4gb ram. Thanks for the help!

12. conorm19147 macrumors newbie

conorm19147

I'm in a similar situation, I was just wondering what do you mean by different performance when using two different sticks. I'm thinking about replacing one of my 2Gb sticks with an OWC 8Gb stick

13. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have 2x 4GB modules into my White MB. It runs Apache, Mysql, PHP; Vista Ultimate in a virtual machine; Crossover Mac, Netbeans, browsers, OpenOffice, Gimp (X11). The most memory hungry apps are the browsers (Chrome and Firefox). At a very high load, it usually leaves 1GB/900MB free.

But bear in mind that I'm running Snow Leopard with a 32bit kernel. 64bit apps are supported through PAE (physical address extension by Intel). 32bit apps tend to consume less memory.

Lion + 64bit kernel tend to eat more memory, so 8GB wouldn't be so comfortable as it is on my configuration.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the bolded link "MR Guide to Matched RAM on Intel Macs" in my earlier post for an explanation.

15. WD007 macrumors newbie

what Crucial will work with the new Ivybridge MBP13

don't mean to hijack the thread but i was looking at some crucial ram on amazon that worked on the 11 MBP but after running the crucial analyzer it gave me a totally different model number of crucial ram I am looking to upgrade from 4 to 8....i have an amazon gift card so would prefer to buy it there but i don't see anything from crucial with that model number should i be looking for a certain spec or will the ram from the late 11 MBP work on the new Ivy bridge model?!?!?! anyone know also will the same crucial SSD work I am hoping as well?

thank you for the help I read the article about matched RAM that was posted and now I too think the 2 4 GB sticks is the way to go for me too.

thanks in advance,
    W

16. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I have, in the past, bought crucial ram on Amazon where the part number didn't match (though the specs matched). I made my decision based on the multiple customer reviews where other people confirmed it worked on said computer.

17. WD007 macrumors newbie

Ivy Bridge 2012 MB Pro 13.3 RAM

thanks, I emailed Crucial and they gave me some information. But being as it is 3 days post launch I don't see any reviews of the previous RAM working on an Ivy Bridge 13...and The RAM Crucial recommended is different ski numbers than the stuff on amazon etc. I guess I will wait until some reviews are in or until Amazon posts the new Crucial RAM.

thanks again and I hope the OP has found something as well I think like him I will stick with matching Ram after reading the wiki in MacRumors...anybody else purchased any RAM that is a different brand or not listed that works...I would love to know about it....Corsair?!?!? some people say it is not as good has anyone used and like corsair better than kingston etc..

thanks again guys

18. WD007 macrumors newbie

anyone see the article about SSD not working in new Ivy Bridge?

I saw that in the MAC forum I will post the link here when I find it. I think maybe it is just an opinion I haven't seen anything else substantiating the claim that the benefit of a 6gb/s SSD will not function as efficiently except for that article but it has me a bit concerned. It looks like the new RAM is 1600mhz I think instead of the 1300MHZ Ram in the '11 MBP 13 but would still love to some reviews are ideas so I can upgrade my RAM from 4 to 8 pronto still nothing on Amazon from Corsair or Crucial that I have found yet.