RAM Adding Up over Time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gryz, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Gryz macrumors member

I have tried searching, but couldn't find this specific scenario.

I have noticed that when I use my MPB over the course of the school week, that when I check my activity monitor, my RAM usage goes from 1.36gb (from startup) to about 3.60gb (at the end of the week or a few days later).

Now I know this is what is supposed to happen when you are using programs and leaving them open, but in my case, I close out of everything completely before I go to sleep. No safari, no iTunes, nothing and my RAM usage is still extremely high.

The only solution I have found is to restart and back down it goes again to 1.36gb. I notice no difference in performance, I was just curious if this was common or supposed to happen...

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take a look at inactive RAM and read the link below to better understand RAM. It doesn't matter how much of your RAM is used. What matters is if you're exceeding your RAM capacity and paging.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both. That seemed to answer my question. Just figured "used" RAM adding up was a bad thing.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all. Mac OS X will manage RAM quite well without you having to do anything.