Ram advice for a 2.2 SR Blackbook owner seeking 4GB upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edcoche, Aug 16, 2008.

1. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

Hello all,

I read the ram guide but I still have a few unanswered questions. The macbook version I own is the one that came out right after leopard's release when the macbooks recieved the santa rosa update. I got the machine without customizing it. I was a little price sensitive at the time and I didnt feel that I would need extra ram for what planned on using it for. After owning it for nearly 8 months and buying a variety of programs and filling up the HD a bit (I have 23GB left on my 160GB HD.) I have decided that the time has come to get 4 GB. It seems like every time I use safari and iTunes for like 45 minutes I have like 17 MB free when I check istat pro in dashboard.

I have a few questions:

-Is there a difference b/w PC2-5300 and PC2-5400? Which would be ideal for my machine?

-Does the Cas Latency make much of a difference?

-After taking a look at the following image, which of the three options would you knowledgeable mac gurus out there recommend? I see that the gskill is the only one with the Cas Latency and timing information...what about the Kingston?

[​IMG]

-It appears that the two Kingston items are nearly identical in terms of price, specs, model number. One lists a lifetime warranty and the other doesn't. They have different item#'s and that seems about it. Am I over analyzing this or is there really no difference?

-Any other suggestions? I mainly want the highest quality ram without paying an obscene price for it. I want to keep it at or below $100 for the upgrade. It is not critical that I go through newegg, I have heard good things about them so I figured I'd look there 1st.

I really appreciate any and all advice. It will help my purchase decision greatly.

-Ed

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Me personally i'd say your over cooking things a tad, I'm not certain about 5400 & if it'll work so i'd go 5300 as that's what's recommended, the latency i would imagine would be next to zilch, if you want a reliable source of RAM for MB try crucial

3. Noonzio macrumors member

I have the same BlackBook and went for the 5400 Crucial - works perfectly . . along with a 250gig Hitachi HD upgrade

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thank's wasn't aware that it would work, have you any benchmarks against 5300 or say you can notice a difference?, anyway's that's two votes for crucial

5. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

Thanks!! Crucial it is!! Although I don't see any 5400 on the website, from what I have gathered the listing of either 5300/5400 is more of a rounding up or down thing after the manufacturer multiplies the clockspeed of the RAM and adds up the values with 8 being the multiplier (ie: 667 * 8 = 5336.) I am no computer engineer though.

I didn't even consider taking a look at Crucial's website (even though they are famous for being the best).....last time I looked there I saw a gap b/w the online retailers like newegg's deals and Crucial's website pricing. Not right now though!! Perhaps this has something to to with the "20th anniversary" status when using their memory advisor tool.

-Ed

6. Noonzio macrumors member

5400 definitely works. I don't have any benchmarks or anything like that but I did a fair bit of research before buying. Don't really notice a difference but the only other MacBook I've used with 5300 was a rev A 2.0 CD with 2gigs of Crucial 5300.

However, I don't do any heavy processing so the 4 gigs is probably overkill for me!

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I put Kingston on my BMB, and Crucial on my buddy's WMB, just due to pricing issues at the time. I do notice a difference in speed between the 2, so much so, I sent back the Kingston, and went with Crucial. Crucial is all I buy for my Apple needs, and OCZ for my buddies PC's when required.
    Just my 2 cents;):apple::apple:

8. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

I put the two 2GB sticks from crucial in yesterday and the computer is significantly faster, and much less "bog down" than it was before with the two 512MB sticks! Very good purchase!

-Ed