Ram advice for imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Harlowgold1, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

Hi Mac Forum friends,
    I need RAM advice. I have a 3.06 iMac (CORE 2) with 4GB of ram and I am noticing my computer is getting sluggish with all my applications (Photoshop) and Parallels 6.0 running. It is obvious I need to upgrade and I am not sure as to what I should go with as far as noticing a performance increase. Of course I understand 8GB of RAM is better than 6 but will the extra 2GB make that much of a difference? I need help!!! Also, is OWC or Crucial RAM just as good as say Kingston?

Sorry for the dumb questions!!! I need help ASAP :p:p:p:p:p

Thanks JENNY!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would definitely go for 8GB, as both photoshop and parallels are RAM-hungry applications, and that would provide better performance. If you have a 21.5" or a 27" model, you can simply add two 2GB sticks to bring the total to 8GB. I would recommend OWC or Crucial over Kingston in fact, as they typically have better reviews, and are less expensive. Also, please don't buy "for Mac" labeled memory, that is just a company trying to rip you off for the same product as they sell for $20 less.

3. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you my friend! Great info! I am a Buckeye as well! :p

Jenny! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

4. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors member

I just put in my own 8GB Ram...Wow has it improved all aspects of my iMac performance. It is so worth the upgrade!