RAM Advice for iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pjcurtin08, Aug 13, 2009.

1. pjcurtin08 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have a 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo iMac from early 2008 with 2gb
    of ram installed. I purchased the computer new from apple in early 2009. I have noticed that the system is generally slower. Will upgrading to 4gb 2x2gb increase performance? Also, which brand is better Kingston or
    crucial?
    Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

RAM upgrade seems like a good idea. I've always preferred crucial, but, I am not sure you can go wrong with either.

3. pprior macrumors 65816

I just upgraded my kids imac (2.16 core 2 duo, I think a year earlier than yours) from 2gb to 4gb.

Honestly I'm disappointed in the difference - it's minimal at best.

When I bought my original mac pro it came with 2gb and I want to 4 and it was a HUGE difference in speed, so I was expecting the same.

I think the difference is my imac hard drive is so slow that I'm still typically waiting on something to load anyway.

It was cheap, so the downside was minimal.

Of course it depends on what you're using - my kids run browser, email, and some photoshop elements. The main reason I bought it was they all tend to stay logged in and fast user swtich so I figured it might help with multiple users logged in at once.

FWIW.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

In general, upgrading the RAM is the cheapest way to milk more repsonsiveness out of a system. As the previous post pointed out, there can be other factors slowing your system down, but if I recall, that ram is less than $100 so it's worth doing.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Unless you're using all your RAM, you won't notice any difference.

6. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Yes, but buying more ram is one of the few ways you can easily improve your laptop on a stick there.

7. pjcurtin08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. So, any other ways to improve performance?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try OnyX. It'll delete system files that are not in use and which are slowing down.

I would still up the RAM till 4GB because it's just 50$ and will make it faster