RAM Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmk229, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jmk229 macrumors member

Looking at upgrading my RAM from 4GB to 8GB so I can run VMWare and Windows a bit faster.
    Need some advice on a brand of Memory that I should pick up. I have no idea how to tell how many pins I need?

2. Wiggum macrumors member

3. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is why it's best to give complete information when asking for help, such as the Mac model you have, OS version, etc. Even though this is in an iMac subforum, many people post in the wrong forum, so it's not always safe to assume what the OP is running.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

5. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry. I forgot myself and thought it had it attached to my post (was thinking the apple support forms.

I have a 2.66 GHZ 20 inch iMac with 4GB of RAM, I would like to upgrade to 8GB.

Per Mactracker I need PC3 8500 DDR3 1066 204 Pin SoDIMM. However whenever I search that memory it says for Apply Notebooks. I did notice in some of the reviews it does say that people with iMacs used it.

Does this matter?

6. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They both use the same RAM.

8. josh1231 macrumors regular

Imac's use Laptop memory. The ram in the macbook pro and the imac can be swapped between the two. The desktop/laptop description on the ram is really for PC's, because most PC's dont' so SoDimm ram.

From what I have read, 12gb is the sweet spot for performance. You could do this for $150.

9. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

10. Storm Aiden macrumors newbie

Whats RAM does this laptop has? (I think it is SD RAM but i am not sure) Laptop Model : Compaq Presario V2000. Any source of getting this RAM online/ in delhi NCR???
    :eek:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why don't you try a Google search for "Compaq Presario V2000 specifications RAM"? This is a Mac forum, not a Windows or Compaq forum.

12. PeteyV macrumors member

Why does it seem like every website I go to purchase RAM for iMac they're out of stock?

13. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member