RAM advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Oct 24, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I plan to get the new iMac with the least amount of RAM available (8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB). I want to buy additional RAM on my own and upgrade it on my own.

1. How many slots does the new iMac have for RAM?

2. Can I go out and just buy one new 16GB RAM stick OR do you have to get two 8GB sticks? How does this work? Can you add any configuration amount of RAM or does it have to be in certain increments?

3. I'm not sure if I need 64GB of RAM, I'm not sure if I need 32GB. What would be the best amount to upgrade to from the stock 8GB to test performance and consider upgrading from there if necessary?

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

The 21.5" iMac is only factory upgradeable and is limited to 16GB.

The 27" iMac has 4 ram slots and can go to 32GB. If you really need more than 8GB, my suggestion is to add a 16GB (2x8GB) kit bringing your memory to 24GB total. Most people don't need anywhere near that much. Later on, if you need more RAM, you can replace the original 8GB.

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am planning to get the 27-inch iMac.

1. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when buying more RAM? Do I just get anything that says "1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM "? Is there a particular brand, etc.?

2. What would be considered the going price for (2x8GB) for the new iMac?

Thanks!

4. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I got 8gb in my new imac27. And i dont really see any use of more just yet.
    Everything runs really smooth.
    Some day i will buy extra 16gb. But i wait until price gets down and me need gets bigger.

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there someway to calculate whether additional RAM could be beneficial? Someway to check the OS to see how much RAM is being used by various applications to determine if additional RAM would help?

6. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to visit some RAM reseller/manufacturer web sites (i.e. Crucial, OWC, Kingston, etc.). They will usually have a tool that will allow you to specify what computer you want RAM for and it will tell you what to buy. If you don't know what you are looking for you could end up with something that you can't use and may not be returnable. Using these tools makes this process simple and foolproof (no, i'm not calling you a fool). :)

An easy way to see if you may need more RAM is to use Activity Monitor. Under System Memory you'll see an entry for "Page outs". Use your computer for a while as you normally would and if you see a number here that is greater than zero you may want to consider adding memory. If it stays zero you are ok.