RAM After Reboot iPhone 4 / Save RAM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Benji222, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

So after my jailbreak I have noticed i frequently forget to un-multitask apps and get down to 40-50ram.
    I like to keep my Phones Ram clear so does anyone have tips about what to do to get my ram up?

Ive recently restored and after turning my phone off and on get: 350
    After running for a while its usually down to about 230-240?

2. The Highlander macrumors 6502

disable multitasking?

I usually roam around 300mb free after I disabled it...

It used to go down up to what you said...

3. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

What method did you do to disable it?
    I read about installing something that makes nothing do it, then using backgrounder and allowing certain things.

4. threezero macrumors 6502

you can install backgrounder and set which app must close when you close it, some apps for some reason unable mutitasking but its not needed. like photos, settings and 2do apps do not need to be running in th background.

or you can ran background and have it so app ONLY multitaks when u want it too.

only problem i had with backgrounder that cause me to uninstall it is that no matter what setting i set for my mail app, it would not ran in the background after closing it from the multitask bar like it would stock. what that means is i no longer get push mail i suspect it would still not work if you have it to fetch.

Could be an isolated incident as i posted about this a few times and nobody chime in. Phone which also ran in the background the same way as mail (even after u close it via multitask bar you can still see it running if you got sbsettings install under process) works fine with backgrounder

SBsetting used to have a very useful free memory feature that would free u tie up ram from already closed apps but its not working ion the iphone 4.

Free memory from the app store works fine though.

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with running 230-240 free available memory? That's plenty. There is nothing wrong with using the memory that's available. That's what it's there for.

You won't notice a slowdown until you get WAY below 230-240 megs. Shoot, that's more than was available with a 3GS.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I never understood this obsession with free memory. Free memory is wasted memory...it has no effect on performance. And since iOS manages your RAM and will free up memory if you need it, there is absolutely no reason manually to manage apps.

7. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Same, with my iPhone 4 I regularly have about 15 apps loaded in the background and my phone only has around 45-50mb RAM free, does it run any slower? No it doesn't, so why do people care

8. GunBlazerX macrumors member

You forget about battery drain though. Theres a power upkeep associated with having a large chunk of your RAM used, and that is especially annoying if you are just using it lightly in your day.

9. ender21 macrumors 6502

I don't think merely desiring a feature makes it an obsession. Especially in an app like SBSettings where there's a utility called, in large letters, "FREE MEMORY."

If someone likes their room a bit cleaner than you like yours, I'm not sure how that hurts anybody.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

My 3GS used to average about 135 MB free memory on 3.0. On 4.0, it is not unusual to see it down around 20 MB if I've run lots of apps that use fast app switching or have, say, NAVIGON and Pandora both backgrounded. All it does is remove saved states for tasked-switched apps if it gets too low. If it got really low and couldn't close inactive apps, it would just close the oldest backgrounded app. I think it actually did that once while running NAVIGON and several other active apps in the background. But manually closing apps wouldn't have prevented that.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

People OCD about ram I see.
    The os will handle it fine.

12. thep33t macrumors regular

wrong.

Now, indirectly, it is correct.

If you have more apps backgrounded, the processor runs more, causing batery drain, RAM, however, takes literally no power to keep in use.

13. Tu13es macrumors regular

The processor will only run more if it's using things like background audio, location, VoIP, etc. Otherwise, it's not doing anything besides sitting in RAM, which uses a negligible amount of power.

This is a decent article explaining how fast app switching works:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11378

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The battery drain of RAM is negligible, and is not significantly affected by how much of it is free. If you've got apps active in the background and using CPU, then, sure, they'll use more battery. But apps that are just sitting in the task switcher with their saved states in RAM really have no impact on battery life.

15. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

I guess it is kidna an OCD thing.
    It just bothers me that I waste RAM on stuff like Photobucket.

16. Tu13es macrumors regular

The way fast app switching works, if there's another app that can make use of the RAM that Photobucket is using, it'll kill Photobucket automatically. If it doesn't need the RAM, killing the app manually isn't going to give you any speed or battery increases.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What waste? It's not like it would be used for anything else if it weren't being used by Photobucket. Free memory is wasted memory. Keeping Photobucket in RAM may only save you a couple of seconds at startup, but it's a better use of RAM than sitting empty. And if another app has a better use for that RAM it will be available instantly.

This is like saying whistling is a waste of breath. Most of the time you've got plenty of breath to both whistle and do anything else you need breath for. Whistling doesn't use anything but breath which wasn't being used anyway. Should you begin to be short of breath while, say, running, you can easily stop whistling.

18. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

You could start by using the Processes toggle in SBSettings. If there's something in the list you're not using close it. For whatever reason I see random native apps like iPod and Mail (set to manual fetch...push is off) in there even if I don't open them since restarting the phone. It's worth a try.

Or you could respring if it gets too low for your comfort. Then again doing that a few times a day is going to cause a lot more battery drain than having low RAM.

thelatinist's example above is exactly right. I know it's nice to see the highest number you can get but it's really not necessary. If it needs more of RAM for a new task it'll get it from a previous task/app that no longer needs it.