Ram amount needed to Upgrading to Tiger from Panther

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by More409, May 10, 2009.

1. More409 macrumors newbie

I need to upgrade to Tiger from Panther on my ibook G4 1.07
    I have 384 MBs Ram presently on it. How much more Ram will I need to run Tiger and what should I buy and where?

thanks for your help.
    I can't afford to upgrade to a Mac book at present although I would very much like too.

More409

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It might not sound much, but what you have isn't actually too bad. My friend does it on his iBook with 256MB of RAM. However it really helps to turn off the dashboard, as it does use a bit of RAM, even when not in use or open. To do this, open Terminal, and use the following commands:

3. More409 thread starter macrumors newbie

H'mm I a bit technologically challenged so I think that will be too difficult for me to do :eek:

Earlier when I looked at System requirements for Downloading Tiger, mine didn't meet the requirements for RAM so I that is why I thought maybe I should try and purchase some more.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I agree with the poster above. Also, if you want to avoid using the terminal, try installing "main menu." It's an application for doing common maintenance like disk permissions, etc. It has an option to disable the dashboard. Best of luck on your install.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Upgrade that puppy to 1.25 gigs of ram! My dad has 768 mb on his identical ibook, and it runs tiger with no problems.