ram amounts

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by the mac docter, Aug 26, 2011.

1. the mac docter macrumors newbie

the mac docter

i have a 2011 mac mini and i want to know how much ram do i really need. i run such applications as microsoft word, email, frostwire, safari and a few others that ive forgotten at the moment. i want to know how much ram do i really need? i dont want to spend the $410 that apple is going to charge me for 8gigs. if so can you recomend me a website that sells cheap ram for my type of computer.
  2. kkillam macrumors member

Aug 26, 2011
    Hey. I got mine at MemoryAmercia.com They have a nifty thing that tells you exactly which RAM to buy based off of the model that you have. They have really cheap options. I bought 8 gigs through them for only $99, versus the ridiculous amount of money Apple wanted. Also, check out this site: http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM It's a guide to the different brands and such and their quality records.
  3. soloer macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2004
    You can check out macsales.com. I just looked and saw 8GB for $72 for the 2011 minis. I suspect you might even find it cheaper if you look around.

Not sure why Apple would charge you $410 for 8GB of RAM. You didn't mention which mini you got, but on the Apple store configuration screen, the ones with 4GB are upgraded to 8GB for $200 and the one with 2GB is upgraded to 8GB for $300.
  4. japtor macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    I got this Kingston set a few days ago:

I think a lot of people are running this Crucial set:

There's also this Corsair set but it seems like some people have issues with it:

Basically you should be looking at around $50 for 8GB...in the US at least. I can't tell what country you're in so prices may be different if you're somewhere else.
  5. toxic macrumors 68000

Nov 9, 2008
    4GB will be probably be fine for you. save your money for something else.
  6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jan 28, 2009
    8 gigs averages 50.00 right now. That's the name brand. apple approved memory is 59.00 I think.
  7. ricardoflamingo macrumors member

Aug 12, 2011
    I had issues with the Corsair. Amazon gave me refund after returning it. Went with the above mentioned Crucial. Smooth sailing so far. Big difference between 2 & 8 gigs. I'm kinda spoiled, went from a 1st gen Mini to 2011 base model. What a difference!
  8. the mac docter thread starter macrumors newbie

the mac docter

response to ram amounts

thanks for all your replies, i'll probably get the cruicial set. from the reviews i have read and from my personal opinion it seems like the better deal:)