Ram and CPU?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Mar 7, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Anyone knows how much RAM the iPad 3 has? And what clock speed does the CPU have?

Apple won't give out the specs on their site?

2. WARSTIN macrumors member

3. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Could still be 1ghz dual core with 512MB. I'm not holding my breath its any higher. Engadget's hands on said it felt the same speed as iPad except for obviously any gaming that utilized the new quadcore GPU.

4. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

512 mb is quite low as devices with 256 mb are having trouble with iOS 5 already :(

5. Nightprowler macrumors regular

I'm worried about the video side of things too. Especially with the new 1080p video capabilities. Video (editing especially) is known to be very RAM intensive.

6. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I am sure in the next few days more information about the A5X will come out.. Perhaps iFixIt will be able to get a teardown done before it's released..

7. homeboy macrumors 6502

Impossible, especially with such resolution and the ability to edit 19 Megapixel photos. I'd say 1GB.

Hopefully I will be able to have more than ten tabs open in Safari without any of them needing to reload everytime I switch.

8. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

If Apple didn't up the speed of the dual core CPU, they are going to be bested in terms of performance this year by Android tablets. I hope there's a decent speed bump going on here, wish someone at the hands on ran Sunspider/browsermark.

9. dstar macrumors regular

I'm in the wait and see camp. I'm in no hurry to upgrade from my iPad 2 but if the gen 3 only has 512MB of RAM I'll probably stay away from it.

10. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Why not information about RAM, Apple?

Many people have posted both in this and other threads the important question about how much RAM the new iPad has. There doesn't seem to be a certain answer yet.

This is very stange, and one really wonders why Apple has not made this clear. If they have not informed clearly about this matter in their presentation, I would say that their presentation has been biased and unreasonably selective in THIS respect.

But I may be wrong, and perhaps I have missed the information?

Anyone who knows?

11. Nightprowler macrumors regular

I don't think so mortenandersen. As far as I can tell it wasn't in the key note and it's not on the tech specs Apple site.

Just gonna have to wait for more complete info. Odd that they didn't mention it which make me fear it's still 512 and they didn't announce it for fear of the bad publicity.

12. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

If 512 RAM - how serious limitations will that imply?

It would be interesting to know how a user with technological knowledge will evaluate the limitations that 512 RAM will imply regarding the new iPad, as opposed to 1024?? Will it affect "daily, regular" use, or will only "the gaming users" experience limitations?

13. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Is the RAM question of minor importance?

As relatively so few persons have addressed the issue about 512 RAM or the double, is this fact of seemingly little interest due to it being a question of minor importance? Or that one doesn't really know the fact just now?

Anyways: Several users have stressed the importance of this issue. And it's must be said to be rather strange that Apple supposedly has not informed about this technical feature, or has not at least done it in a so clear way that the average forum reader doesn't seem to know the answer. (Other hardware makers inform about such things as a matter of standard information given to potential customers.)

Back to the RAM question itself again: Is there a problem (especially with the "retina screen") with no more RAM in the new iPad, if that is the case?