RAM and hard disk upgrade (mid 2010 iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by diegobgr, Oct 14, 2012.

1. diegobgr, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a mid 2010 iMac.

I am very happy with it. Mountain Lion is fast and smooth and is everything I need.

I am going to change my DSLR camera so I think that iMac will welcome a RAM upgrade.

Where can I get it? Any model or brand recommended? I think that 4 GB will be enough but I don't mind install 16GB if it's much expensive.

What about SSD? It's possible to install in a 2010 iMac?

I also have read that iMac needs the hard drive replacement for the defective Seagate hard disk...I am a bit scared about that.

2. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody knows? I will like to order it from Amazon.co.uk but I don't know what I should order.

It is possible to install SSD on 2010 iMac?

Thank you!

3. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Here's the good news, its easy to update the ram on the 2010 iMac and the cost of DDR3 1333 RAM is now at an all time low - so, you can check on eBay and purchase A-DATA RAM from Hong Kong retailers - you can max out to 16G at a very cheap price, or 32G if you purchase 8G sticks - A-Data now make RAM specifically for Mac's - basically its the same as their ordinary laptop RAM, so just get 16G - that's 4X4 sticks.

if its a 21.5in iMac running the i3 processor, to be honest 12G RAM is enough, but its still cheap to get 16G (4X4).

now, if you have AppleCare or your 2010 iMac was purchased as a refurbished product and still under warranty, Apple will replace the HDD if its a Seagate 1T model, this means we are only referring to the i3 3.2Ghz model, i5 3.6Ghz model and 27in i3, i5 and i7 - all these having 1T HDD's - as for SSD, many posts on here covering this and yes you can swap out the mechanical drive in exchange for a SSD or take out the Optical Drive and replace it with a SSD.

If your iMac is out of Warranty but has a 1T HDD, Apple will replace this free of charge if your machine is one with a defective drive - best check this on US Apple site.

Hope this helps.

4. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

What about Crucial?

2x4 GB it's €40.79 - $43.99.

Can I use without any problem with 2x2 GB that I already own?

Thank you!