RAM and Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bigtree, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

I wonder if 2 gigs of ram will be enough to run leopard and photoshop? I will be surprised if it does!!!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

2GBs should be fine. More is better though :).

Don't forget that Photoshop is still a 32bit application so can only use a max of 4GBs of RAM anyway.

3. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

I have PB G4 PPC 12" 1.5ghz, 60gb, combo drive, and 768mb of ram. My computer can only handle 1.25gb of ram. Which I doubt it will be enough for leopard to run without any hickups. Can anybody comment on this matter? Thanks in advance for the advice.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll be fine. A machine with a dedicated video card will be better suited.

In before mad jew.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

PowerPC machines generally need less RAM than Intel machines. I'd argue that even 768MB of RAM will be fine for running Leopard. I can't comment on how well it'll handle running lots of RAM-intensive tasks though.

6. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

Hmmm, well this is my graphics card, it was the last update PB's recieve in 05. Here is what my card has... Chipset Model: GeForce FX Go5200, VRAM (Total): 64 MB, Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de). Someone told me I'll have some problem's but my PB will be able to run leopard..

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It really won't have problems. You'll run Leopard just fine. :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Core Image on the FX5200 sounds a little painful.

9. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

What does core image do actually? If you would like to give a run down on why it will be painful..:eek:.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Core Image basically adds glitz via the graphics card. It harnesses the card's power to give you added eye candy. Not having a Core Image capable video card shouldn't be a problem on Leopard though. It certainly isn't a problem on Tiger.

11. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

Thnks madjew! So the desktop won't be as glitzy as a IntelMac? Meaning like the dock, stacks and how the come out? I don't really used alot of resource hog apps and all. So basically my gpu card sucks and won't be able to handle the eyecandy in Leopard. If you can give an example in what iCandy is in leopard, so i can grasp it a little better.

All i want is the transition of Leopard to go smoothly. Ill prolly buy more ram and an 320gb hdd to put all my media in there so ill have more space on my actual mac hdd.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it better be as its the max i can take.
    would like it to have same ram req as tiger

13. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

When a programmable GPU is present, Core Image utilizes the graphics card for image processing operations, freeing the CPU for other tasks. And if you have a high-performance card with increased video memory (VRAM), you'll find real-time responsiveness across a wide variety of operations.

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
    nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

Wow i guess my computer can handle Core Image then! Seriously thanks Madjew again for confirming my fears. Lucky I don't use ram hog programs and such.