RAM and Screen on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by willie45, Aug 4, 2009.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I am looking to replace my white iMac 24 inch. I don't like the glossy screens on the new ones much and was considering buying a MBP 13 inch and an external screen to replace it with.

I have two questionss

I notice that Apple want to charge £880!!!! for an upgrade to 8mb RAM and wondered if it was easy to fit your own into the MBP or if anywhere else would fit it more cheaply.

Also I notice the only screen Apple now makes which is not glossy is the very expensive 30 inch which is too big and too expensive for me. What other monitors should I look at?

Thanks for your help

Willie

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

It's quite easy to upgrade the memory by your self, just unscrew the bottom cover and switch them out. It's described in the manual. Search on youtube for videos if you're unsure.

As for the price, sure £880 is pretty expensive.. but even if bought from a 3rd party reseller it's expensive. Make sure you get the SO-DIMM DDR3, two of the 4GB sticks (2x4GB) - there's only two slots in the machine.

Personally I prefer NEC's monitors but I'm not that up-to-date on the monitor market at the moment. Just make sure that you're not getting a TN panel monitor, they're pretty crappy.

3. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Unless you really really need 8GB memory I dont even think its worth it at the minute.

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Wow! That is expensive because I think Apple sells 8 GB for the same price! :rolleyes:

Yes its fairly easy to do, however if you have 0 experience with computer hardware, I recommend you watch the OWC how to video on YouTube.

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice folks. I have found the revelvant video help and I would feel pretty confident doing that. Having checked out Crucial, it seems they are selling the correct modules at around two thirds of the price of having Apple fit them. Even so I doubt I will bother with it for the time being.

As to the screen, this is something I will need to look into in more detail. I really wish Apple would give the option of matte in their screens

Willie