RAM and speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nalk7, May 25, 2010.

1. nalk7 macrumors regular

Hi, this morning I remembered I had an extra 2 gigs of ram, and remembered my sisters macbook 1,1 only had 1.25 gigs of ram installed. So I decided to install another gig and take it to its max 2gig spec. The computer went from being a snail to a cheetah, a remarkably noticeable speed change, if fact it was running faster than my early 2008 MBP. So I decided to remove the ram in my MBP and plug it back it, and guess what? it made it faster. Safari used to open in 3 bounces, now it opens in one bounce like when I bought it. Is there any logic to this? is it a common practice to remove the ram and place it back in again periodically? any body else notice this? sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldnt find anything on it.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

4. nalk7 thread starter macrumors regular

pretty weird huh? just thought Id share it with you guys

5. NStocks macrumors 65816

Would it have automatically reset the SMC if that makes the computer run faster ?

Just a guess.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perhaps the RAM wasn't properly seated before.

7. SA22C macrumors regular

That's the only possible explanation.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol thats interesting! RAM isn't too much of a slow-down in my MBP, I've got 4GB and that seems all good. Its the slow 5400 hard drive thats the bottleneck. So when I get a SSD it should run super fast:D

9. nalk7 thread starter macrumors regular

probably it wasn't set up correctly or it might've gotten lose over time, but Im really enjoying the speed-boost :D

PS mine only has 2gigs but Im really tempted to double it now :p

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What are you doing on it? Because if its only web browsing and stuff like that you won't notice much difference between 2GB and 4GB of RAM.

11. nalk7 thread starter macrumors regular

ever since I got my ipad I only use it to manage the ipad/iphone, and creative work using aperture, photoshop, and Illustrator. I kind of feel bad for it, it doesnt get as much use as it used to :( Im a college student, but Im serious about my photography hobby, as well as graphic design. For all the rest (note taking, papers, browsing) the ipad fits my bill perfectly. 2 gigs is enough for the kind of work Im doing, but doubling it wouldnt hurt anyone would it? ;)

12. mingoglia macrumors 6502

x3