Ram and SSD for 2011 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oblivionixx, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Oblivionixx macrumors newbie

I am planning to get a 15" MBP soon and gonna boost the performance of the machine by changing SSD and RAM by myself.
    Any good suggestion for what RAM I should get?
    I wanna get SSDs for it, and hopping to use SATA 3 spec which the coming OCZ Vertez 3 and Intel 510 series are on my list, anyone has tested out the Intel 510 series on the new MBP? how is the performance?
    In addition, is possible for me to get 2 of these SSDs (of cos with Opticbay) and run it in Raid 0?

Thanks

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Can't speak to the RAID 0 option. I never recommend RAID 0 simply from a failure standpoint, but to each his own (you are increasing your failure rate exponentially for little gain due to today's SSD's being extremely fast already).

As far as the rest of it, I purchased this for ram:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

My MBP arrives (possibly today since it is already in my hometown), so I can't say for sure it works but the reviews show it works with the new MBP's and I've used G.Skill in many of my previous laptops (including my 2009 MBP).

For SSD's, there are still a lot of reports of the Intel 510 has issues. However, over at anandtech.com they didn't have any issues, so I guess the jury is still out on that. With that said, I've been using a Sandforce 2200 in my 2009 MBP with no issues (yes I know, it isn't an SATAIII drive), but at a max speed just under 300MB/s that's still no slouch. I actually just ordered my 2011 MBP with the Apple 128GB SSD. I figured for $92 (due to company discount), it was worth rolling with that until some of the issues with the new SSD's work their way out. At that point I will probably replace it with something faster and drop the 128GB into my wife's laptop.

As soon as my MBP arrives, I'm ripping the Optical drive out and dropping in a 500GB mechanical drive because I want the additional space (would go larger, but I already have a 500GB just sitting around virtually unused).

I don't know if any of this really helps you or not, but gives you something to think about....

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a long thread about the Intel 510. I have had no trouble at all with mine and like the drive. Others have had some troubles.

Look Anandtech's review of the 2011 MBP where he discusses the Intel 510.

I went with the 510 knowing it was not the fastest SSD, but hoping Intel's record of reliability with the previous gen of SSD would continue. Also, unlike some others, they have offered a bootable CD-Rom to perform firmware updates. I had an OWC SSD with the sleep bug that still has not been fixed and there is no was to update firmware without installing Windows.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Optibay drive runs at SATA 2 link speeds so I wouldn't advise it.

I have the same memory as paulrbeers is advising in my 2011 and it works flawlessly.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

That's for the verification! All the reviews on Newegg stated it would work, but until I have my laptop in my hands I was going to be a little worried!

6. Jaimi macrumors regular

I recommend just getting the apple SSD, and then upgrading the RAM yourself. You won't likely notice the speed difference, it's still really fast. Plus, the current OS (and apparantely lion also) only support TRIM on the apple branded SSD.

I agree with the others - RAID 0 is really overkill. Plus, if you lose a drive or get an error, the entire system is hosed. the SSD is already really fast.