RAM and SSD installation: together or separate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefed, May 5, 2011.

1. thefed macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone. This is a great forum and I've been reading around it for a while now, and I finally have a question that I think deserves its own thread. I've looked around at the old posts, but haven't found a concise answer.

I just got a brand new MBP 15"(2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm HDD, Hi-Res Glossy screen. I also have a Crucial C300 256GB SSD still in it's own box, and a kit for 8GB RAM increase also from Crucial in it's own box. The plan is to remove the HDD and replace it with the new SSD, and also replace the 4GB RAM with the Crucial 8GB set. Once the new SSD is in, I will do a full re-install of OS X and software.

MY QUESTION: Can I insert both the SSD and the 8GB RAM together (as in one single computer surgery), or should I to it in two separate runs? If you suggest I do two runs, which should I do first?

I'm leaning towards first doing the SSD, close everything up, install OS X, make sure it works, and if all is good then I'll turn off the comp. and do the RAM install. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable folks new which way is best.

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Just go for both at once. The SSD will be the only thing that needs configuration, as RAM is completely plug and play.