Ram and SSD upgrade can reduce battery duration?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cabracabra, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cabracabra macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro (15", 2.3GHz, no retina) and I have upgraded ram to 16GB and changed default hard disk with a new SSD Samsung 840.

All things goes well but I have noticed a significant reduced time on battery, is it possible?

I don't have specific tests to proof this but I use my mac every day and I have noticed immediately this behaviour.

ps
    I'm sorry for my poor english!

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

I do find that odd. care to mention the brands you have used?

I have corsair RAM and a samsung SSD but battery life still runs around the same time, 7-8 hours of regular use.

3. cabracabra thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Corsair ram also (DDR3 2x8GB), replace mechanical disk with a ssd I believed it was best for battery duration, or, at least, the same.

4. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Have you done a fresh install or a clone copy?

Enable TRIM if you haven't. It helps with preserving the life of the SSD as well as causes less work for the SSD because it doesnt have to delete and then rewrite the information, but rather just replacing without having to delete in the process. So less stress on the SSD there.

And in some cases, there could be issues with your RAM. at what speed is your RAM running? 1600mhz?

For some people since you have an SSD you might want to uncheck "put hard disks to sleep when possible" since you no longer use an HDD and SSD's no longer have moving parts.

Test those out, and see what happens.

Hope these help a bit. If not keep posting and ill see what i can find

5. cabracabra thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done a clone copy with Carbon copy, do you think it could be a problem?

I have installed and enabled Chameleon ssd, I thought to disable to see if anything change.

Yes, but I hadn't any issues in this months about block, freeze..

I don't remember if I disable or not this option, today I'll check at home.

6. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Give it a shot, a clean install is usually the best method to go with when installing a new drive. If you have the time, just back up all your docs, programs, and save files; then do a clean install.

For every HD upgrade or new computer ive built, i always do a clean install for the sake of having things as barebones as possible for easier trouble shooting.

7. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

This really should not happen.

Maybe if you have a lot of files your system is going through indexing and other things that are taking more CPU cycles? Have you noticed it running hotter as well?

R

8. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

When I put ssd on my MBP early 2011 I noticed an increase in battery life. It seems weird. Maybe do a clean install.... Use time machine for saving data and then copy files on your fresh install (don't use migration assistant, just copy and paste libraries and files), it should work;)

9. cabracabra thread starter macrumors newbie

About cpu usage I have noticed a load average over 1 (1.2-1.4) and Webprocess that uses about 23-25% of cpu, nothing else, temperature is ok.

Is it possible improve battery duration disabling search indexing?

I have noticed that "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option is uncheck because I thought it was better for ssd, perhaps I can enable it to see if the situation goes better.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It should not happen, but I've heard more cases of people cloning the system and experiencing higher battery use. Try a clean install.

11. cabracabra thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point I'll waiting for Marevicks to do a clean install and restore data from Time machine, hoping to resolve this issue.