Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Ok so buying RAM from apple is like too expensive and their RAM tend to not do so well.
so here i see on Newegg.com a 2GB of RAM for 60 bucks and good quality and efficient RAM.
Now i want to buy it and place it into my macbook 2.1mhz
but then will replacing the RAM break my warranty? i have apple care protection. i also thought that what if i take the RAM to the genius bar and have them install the RAM for me so my warranty wont go off? but if they do install it will they keep my warranty on?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Installing yourself won't break the warranty. :)
No need to take it in for a Genius to install, unless you just want to see if they will. ;)

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
ok, you sure now that it wont break my warranty if i buy and install it myself?
cuz what if it breaks and i turn it in and they find 3rd party RAM in it... they might blame those parts for the break of the macbook

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
ok, you sure now that it wont break my warranty if i buy and install it myself?
cuz what if it breaks and i turn it in and they find 3rd party RAM in it... they might blame those parts for the break of the macbook
No, it won't break the warranty. Even if you install it.
Hint: It was designed to be user upgradeable. ;)

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
ok thanks. if apple released this than we must be able to install it without our warranty being taken away..

another question. say im too lazy or just to scared to install RAM can i take it to the genius bar and have then install it for me? will they charge for the service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.