Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have purchased a refurb M3 Pro With 18 Core Gpu, 18GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive. I love it in every way, but for some reason I am getting RAM anxiety! Its all good, but when I fire up parallels the memory pressure goes into the orange on the activity monitor (just!). Should I send it back and wait for a 36GB model to come up, or am I panicking for nothing? I have never had more than 16GB Ram before.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I have purchased a refurb M3 Pro With 18 Core Gpu, 18GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive. I love it in every way, but for some reason I am getting RAM anxiety! Its all good, but when I fire up parallels the memory pressure goes into the orange on the activity monitor (just!). Should I send it back and wait for a 36GB model to come up, or am I panicking for nothing? I have never had more than 16GB Ram before.
How much RAM do you have assigned to the virtual machine(s) you have created in Parallels? Set that to the minimum you can get away with for whatever you're doing those VMs. If you're doing heavy work in VMs and the RAM allocations of whatever VMs you have running at the same time adds up to (at a rough guess) more than half your total RAM then yeah, you probably need a 36GB machine.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
There are at least a couple of M3 Pro MacBooks in the Apple Refurbished store right now with 36GB memory and 1TB storage. Others with same memory and more storage. You can probably find what you want.

Reactions: penlost

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If you need to run VMs on a regular basis, then go with more RAM. I sometimes run 2 of them with 6-8 GB of RAM and having 32 GB makes that easy unless I'm running my production software. But I seldom do both at the same time.

Reactions: penlost

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I think you can probably make things work with the RAM you have now, but if you plan to keep this device for more than a few years or if you plan to run a lot of things in Parallels... I think you'll need more memory. 😅

penlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Ok, I am convinced I need 36GB Ram, nothing on the return store in my price range, but found a Max on Ebay in new condition : Apple MacBook Pro 14" M3 Max 36GB 1TB 2023 SpacBlack Sealed (Only Today £2097) - Too good to be true??

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Are you doing anything intensive with your VMs? My work MacBook (14" M1 Pro) has 16GB RAM and it's in orange memory pressure when I've got Parallels running, but it's totally fine.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok, I am convinced I need 36GB Ram, nothing on the return store in my price range, but found a Max on Ebay in new condition : Apple MacBook Pro 14" M3 Max 36GB 1TB 2023 SpacBlack Sealed (Only Today £2097) - Too good to be true??
36GB of ram model is the one I went for. future proofing if I need it long term

Reactions: Ruftzooi

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Option 2: don't virtualize on Mac. Instead, put a few years of the virtualization software annual subscription rent towards buying a dedicated Mac Mini-like PC. Since the vast bulk of the world isn't looking for towards 50% profit margin on their products, a little money can buy a LOT of PC.

Then let the PC do the PC-ing and the Mac do the Mac-ing. Even a few hundred dollars will buy a fairly useful PC. And since PCs are generally user upgradable, you can start with what you need in 2024 and then- and I know this will seem crazy to us Apple people now- upgrade RAM & storage later if you need more. :eek:

I went this way and am quite pleased with this instead of annual ≈$60 "subscriptions" to only get ARM Windows vs. full Windows. 32GB of RAM + 10TB of fast SSD + the entire PC itself with good graphics card cost less than Apple charges only for a storage upgrade to 8TB SSD. Had I not decided to "go big" (and go ahead and grant myself access to just about all AAA gaming too), I could have got a "good enough" PC still fairly loaded for a budget down in the $400-$600 range.

If:
  • your main computer is Mac but you sometimes need Windows, this is a good option.
  • your main computer is Windows but you sometimes need Mac, a variant of the same using Mac Mini is a good option... and will cost a lot less overall.
  • you really need both "on the road" with you, perhaps 2 laptops in the bag might be a better option. Then, just selectively bring the second one whenever you can anticipate needing it on the road. Else, you are only carrying 1 laptop when you are confident you won't need immediate access to the other.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Option 2: don't virtualize on Mac. Instead, put a few years of the virtualization software annual subscription rent towards buying a dedicated Mac Mini-like PC. Since the vast bulk of the world isn't looking for towards 50% profit margin on their products, a little money can buy a LOT of PC.

Then let the PC do the PC-ing and the Mac do the Mac-ing. Even a few hundred dollars will buy a fairly useful PC. And since PCs are generally user upgradable, you can start with what you need in 2024 and then- and I know this will seem crazy to us Apple people now- upgrade RAM & storage later if you need more. :eek:

I went this way and am quite pleased with this instead of annual ≈$60 "subscriptions" to only get ARM Windows vs. full Windows. 32GB of RAM + 10TB of fast SSD + the entire PC itself with good graphics card cost less than Apple charges only for a storage upgrade to 8TB SSD. Had I not decided to "go big" (and go ahead and grant myself access to just about all AAA gaming too), I could have got a "good enough" PC still fairly loaded for a budget down in the $400-$600 range.

If:
  • your main computer is Mac but you sometimes need Windows, this is a good option.
  • your main computer is Windows but you sometimes need Mac, a variant of the same using Mac Mini is a good option... and will cost a lot less overall.
  • you really need both "on the road" with you, perhaps 2 laptops in the bag might be a better option. Then, just selectively bring the second one whenever you can anticipate needing it on the road. Else, you are only carrying 1 laptop when you are confident you won't need immediate access to the other.

I use VMWare and UTM for virtualization for personal use and both are free. If you need virtualization for commercial use, then you can just use UTM and no annual subscription fees.

My production stuff uses a lot of RAM and I use the virtual machines when I'm not running my production stuff. I tested an M1 mini with 16 GB of RAM and it wasn't enough to run my production and office stuff at the same time so I bought 32 GB RAM systems when they came out.

Windows 11 ARM doesn't run all Windowx x86 software and I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 when I need to run Intel Windows. Those laptops should be around $200 now so they're quite cheap. They're also a good option during the winter.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

AssassuN

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Can I get away with 16GB/18GB config? I'm back in school for CS, so I will be using it for programming and school work, and some hobby video editing on the side.

I have a 32GB desktop and I feel spoiled by the amount of overhead I have lol. But I also didn't feel ripped off upgrading the RAM like I will with a Mac.

Azedquery

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2024
UK
Can I get away with 16GB/18GB config? I'm back in school for CS, so I will be using it for programming and school work, and some hobby video editing on the side.

I have a 32GB desktop and I feel spoiled by the amount of overhead I have lol. But I also didn't feel ripped off upgrading the RAM like I will with a Mac.
I've just had a very bad experience moving from an Intel Mac to an M3 b/c Apple insisted on under-speccing the RAM. Despite claims to the contrary, my real-life benchmark testing revealed that Apple's RAM isn't magic and if RAM-hungry apps and/or multiple apps used at once, you can't get away with half what you had before, regardless of the processor. Annoying as it is (given Apple's exorbitant RAM pricing), if you want the same performance you get on a 32GB desktop, you may find you're very frustrated it you buy less than 32GB.

Reactions: AssassuN

AssassuN

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Ahh I thought that would be the case. It's hilarious that memory pricing is the reason I may not buy a new one at all.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
My work MacBook (14" M1 Pro) has 16GB RAM and it's in orange memory pressure when I've got Parallels running, but it's totally fine.
I run Parallels on my M2 air with 16GB and I have no issues with memory pressure. Completely stays within the green. I have the memory set for 6GB with 3GB for graphics. No issues with anything I need to run in Parallels.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I run Parallels on my M2 air with 16GB and I have no issues with memory pressure. Completely stays within the green. I have the memory set for 6GB with 3GB for graphics. No issues with anything I need to run in Parallels.
Of course, it all depends on (a) what you want to do in Parallels/Windows and (b) what you want to do in MacOS at the same time. I think minimum required for Windows is still 2GB, minimum for Office (some features/applications not available on MacOS) 365 is 4GB , Visual Studio (not VS code - you can run that on Mac) 2022 is 8GB minimum/16GB recommended...

If you've just got one odd legacy app that you need Windows for, you might still get away with an 8GB Mac and 2GB allocated to Windows. If you're doing significant workflow with multiple, more demanding Windows apps open you're probably going to need to give it 8-16GB of RAM. Or, if you're running multiple Windows VMs for testing, the sky's the limit (at which point you'd probably be better off with a Max or Pro processor anyway...)

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I've just had a very bad experience moving from an Intel Mac to an M3 b/c Apple insisted on under-speccing the RAM. Despite claims to the contrary, my real-life benchmark testing revealed that Apple's RAM isn't magic and if RAM-hungry apps and/or multiple apps used at once, you can't get away with half what you had before, regardless of the processor. Annoying as it is (given Apple's exorbitant RAM pricing), if you want the same performance you get on a 32GB desktop, you may find you're very frustrated it you buy less than 32GB.
Apple's claim was that 8GB of unified memory is equivalent to 16GB of conventional memory on a Windows PC. Their argument was that macOS's memory management was superior to Windows so you can do more with less. That claim is still BS, but it's important to at least understand what they were claiming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.