Ram Brand? OWC, Crucial or Kingston

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cromas, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

Hi I think in buy ram? which brand its better to mac pro?

OWC, Crucial or Kingston?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I went with OWC. Crucial is still too expensive, and everyone on this forums has recommended OWC.

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

Transintl.com

$128 for 2 Gigs. Lifetime warranty. Always bought ALL my memory there... NEVER had a bad dimm. EVER.

4. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for OWC, I have used them for both my new MacBook and iMac. 4 GB rules. :D

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

All of them will work fine as long as you get the modules that are sold specifically for your machine -- in Kingston that will be the KTA-MP667 or KTA-MP800 series. Do not get KVR generic ValueRAM.

Also look at Data Memory Systems MacPro US$118 for 2 Gb 667 MHz, $120 for 2 Gb 800 MHz

6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Another vote for DataMem (I got the recommendation from CanadaRAM previously).

I've used them for a PowerBook & iMac & they've been great - I've also taken advantage of the lifetime warranty without any hassle whatsoever.

Good luck!

7. zdobson macrumors 6502

one vote for DMS

another vote for reading the 1000 old threads on this topic

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've used DataMem and they were great. I've also bought Crucial from New Egg (who offered better pricing than Crucial did).

As for Kingston, listen to the RAM man, don't buy their cheap crap.

9. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I vote for ramjet.com works perfect same heat sink apple uses not bad pricing and quick shipping

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

11. yomibro macrumors regular

Newegg sells Mushkin FB-DIMM modules, purchased the 2GB modules from them last week to use on my Mac Pro and no issues at all (they currently have a $30 instant rebate on the 2GBx2 kit).

12. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

OWC..
    I just installed a 4gig kit in my 4core MacPro [took 2 minutes to do the upgrade]... .and a 4gig kit in my new 15" MBP [that one took about 20 minutes]

$160 for the MacPro
    $95 for the MBP

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have used transcend a few time and no issues at all

14. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with Kingston Valueram

I've called kingston to inquire about the differences and from what they told me, the standard series are tested for use in specific systems. The ValueRAM series has not been tested, but the assembly and quality of parts are exactly the same. They come from the same assembly line. They are cheaper because less time has been spent with compatability testing. Most of the time, as long as the ram meets the timing and voltage requirements, it should be fine

Valueram also has lifetime warranty like the standard series.

15. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have 8GB of OWC in my MP and everything has been great so far. Can't go wrong with them.

16. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

I'm thinking of buying 4GB of OWC RAM for my new Macbook Pro when it arrives. I was just wondering is there is ahy difference (in quality or reliability) between the $95 OWC brand RAM and the $150 Micron brand RAM.

17. Shurran macrumors member

You do realise you are posting in the Mac Pro forums dont you? Why anybody would put ValueRAM in a Pro is beyond me - the most important reason being they dont have the overspecced heatspreader required if you want to run your machine stable and quiet. Other than that, it would mean putting cheap RAM into a really sweet system - just dont do it!

OP. I think OWC is best, their prices are so good (for this type of RAM) that its hard not to use them!

18. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I bought 8GB 2GB x 4 from OWC and they work fantastic.

19. Play4keeps macrumors regular

20. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Its pretty well known around here (1000s of posts) that for RAM that is Apple certified for the MacPro and has a lifetime warrantee, there is currently no difference in performance between brands. Otherwise you are taking a chance.

Barefeats.com has done several RAM tests with different brands and memory card configs, and to get the best performance in a 08 MacPro, you want eight RAM sticks to fill all the RAM slots.

You will not find RAM that has never had a failure, and all certified brands seem to have about the same, very low, failure rate.

You may want to ask how the customer service compares... DMS ships out replacements as soon as you call them, no questions asked, others may do the same. The only probem I've had is with a bad OWC RAM stick, where they asked lots of questions over a couple day period, but that could just have been a fluke. OWC RAM is just as good as the others.

21. cowm007 macrumors regular

I bought some RAM from NewEgg and it's worked out well so far. It's iRam brand and it's cheaper than the rest. I was scared at first since there's very little info about them but the RAM works perfectly.