Ram capacities have been reached?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gballa, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Gballa macrumors member

Im on an older white macbook, and my maximum ram is 2gb, which I already have. I may just be grasping at imaginary things, but is there an external ram or anyway way at all to upgrade my mac's ram at all. i talked to apple and they won't modify my computer at all, so I am stuck with a somewhat slow computer. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, that's it. If you want more RAM buy a newer computer.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Is your MacBook a Core Solo/Core Duo model, or a Core 2 Duo model? If the latter, what is its graphics chipset (from Apple System Profiler)? You may have the ability to put two 2 gig chips in for 3.1 gb of available RAM.

4. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

Intel Core 2 Duo
    Chipset Model: GMA 950

So does that mean that i can get up to 3.1 gb of ram then?

5. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

I'm assuming that's a Mid-2007 MacBook - I believe that it supports up to 3.3 GB RAM.

I know Core 2 Duos can support 2 GB RAM sticks in each of the two slots. Even if you have 4GB of RAM, though, some will be constantly occupied by, I think it's the GMA 950 and other things, so only 3.3GB of it is accessible.

6. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

According to crucial.com's system scan, I am at my full capacity for ram and identifies my mac as MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White). So are you sure that I can support more RAM. Thank you so much for your help so far.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Your computer is able to support 3 GB (and a little extra, but that's the hardware being unable to recognize the rest of 4 GB that you could put in, so there's nothing you can do about that). 2 GB isn't really a horrible amount of RAM to have, and odds are it really isn't slowing your computer down too much (as long as you're a fairly average user). I'd go for buying a single 2 GB stick and throwing it in and the other 2 GB stick isn't really worth it if it's just going to act almost identically to a 1 GB stick.

8. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all. I will just purchase a 2gb to go with my 1gb, and I should be good. Thanks again.