RAM card not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Parson1, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Parson1, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Parson1 macrumors newbie

Relevant Computer Specs:
    OS 10.6.8
    Max RAM possible 2gb
    Macbook 1,1 (early or mid 2006, I forget which)
    Two 1gb RAM chips currently inserted, two 256mb chips replaced

Background: I wanted to upgrade my OS to 10.6 recently, and discovered I needed 1gb of total RAM, so I went to crucial.com, scanned my computer, and ordered two 1gb RAM cards, figuring an extra 1gb couldn't hurt.

When I tried installing them, I found only 1 of the cards was being recognized. I didn't know whether it was the bank or the card, so I switched them around, and the same bank (Bank 1, the slot nearer to the center of the laptop) was registering as empty even though I knew the card was working.

I did some research on the problems other people were having installing RAM and found that it can be a pretty tight fit, so I made sure to really cram the thing in there. I also made sure my computer was capable of handling 2gb of ram. I also noted, that when I did the computer scan, both RAM banks were registering, meaning I know they were both working right before I tried to install the new chips (I did the same crucial.com scan afterwards and it says Bank 1 is empty).

The problem seems to be that one corner (on the right of Bank-1) of the card is sticking out just a little bit (it looks like it might be at a little bit of an angle). I've really forced the thing in there, and I'm worried if I press any harder, it may break (my fingers actually hurt). I've also tried putting it in at a bit of an angle, but it always ends up with that corner sticking out a bit.

What I'm wondering is how I can get the second 1gb chip to register. I haven't tried resetting the PRAM yet because I don't know if that will help at all (or even what it does). I also haven't tried inserting one of the old 256mb chips into the seemingly dead slot, just to see if it registers.

Any help is much appreciated. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer (I don't know a whole lot about computers, though).

2. DanTheCru macrumors newbie

The first thing that you should verify the the position of the notch in relation to the manual. The second thing is to verify that each stick is working in each slot. You say that it seems like that a corner is sticking out, but if you are installing the RAM into the memory slot and the notch is lining up than it does take between 25-30lbs of pressure. Basically what you are doing is starting over and ensuring that each step was correct starting with compatibility.

3. Parson1, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Parson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I made sure the notch was on the left (correct) side as I put it in the bank. I even turned it around, knowing it wouldn't fit, just to see how far off it would be. As for the sticks, I know they both work because both register in Bank-0 when I switch them around, so I know the problem isn't the cards themselves.

As for the pressure needed, I have to imagine I'm putting enough pressure on the thing to snap it into place. I first slide the card into the bank until it stops without applying any pressure, then i turn the computer around and put my thumbs on the bottom of the computer and push back hard with my index and middle fingers on the chip. I can feel (and hear) it snap into what I assume is the correct position. I initially tried it that way, and after it didn't register, I went back and kept pushing. My fingers actually hurt a bit for a couple days after because I did this a few times.

Since my first post, I've reset my PRAM and SMC as well as tried to switch the 1gb chip out of the bad bank to try one of the 256mb chips instead--but nothing has worked. I'm beginning to think I damaged the bank when I either uninstalled the old 256mb chip or reinstalled the new 1gb one.

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: When I say the corner sticks out, I mean ever so slightly. It doesn't even stick out enough to affect the L-shaped metal RAM bay door that covers the chips themselves, it's just that when I look at how the other card is situated, and how the left side of the same card sits, it's clear that the edge is hanging out just a little bit further than everything else.