ram cards

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robbiebox, Feb 11, 2012.

1. robbiebox macrumors newbie

Hi Have just purchased 4 x 1 gb Kingston PC2-4200 RAM 2gb DDR2 533 MHz Memory, Non-ECC unbuffered KTD-DM8400/1G

My Machine is a powermac G5 Processor is Dual core 2GHz, Memory currently installed is 3.5 GB DDr2 SDRAM.
    Made up of 6 matched cards, 2 x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC2-3200-u-266, 2 x 256MB PC2-4200U-444 and 2 x 512MB PC2-3200u-288 cards.

Fitted the new ram cards and the machine didn`t recognise them, I know the slots are ok as the other cards work fine from them.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem is, the guy I bought them from said I had quite a different mix of memory and speeds and should reset the bios to get the board to rescan for the memory change.

How do I reset the bios?

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Hold Command(Apple Key) + Option(Alt) + P + R to reset the PRAM

Do that and then see if it see's the memory :)

3. robbiebox thread starter macrumors newbie

kingston ram cards

Thanks for that, I just tried a different pair of Kingston Ram cards and they have been recognised so i`m guessing the first ones are faulty.

4. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Thats lame :/ Have you tried each Stick on its own?

Sending them back shouldn't be much of an issue anyway :)

Simon

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

and when you send them back, ask the guy if he can tell you just 'where is this bios' he suggested you reset?

6. robbiebox thread starter macrumors newbie

ram cards

Not being too clever around a computer are you saying that I can`t reset the bios, all I know is the my G5 didn`t see the `one pair of the kingston ram cards but did see the others.
    Despite the ones already fitted having as he put it quite a spread they all worked.

He has sent me another pair of matched cards hopefully they will be ok.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Apple systems do not use a BIOS, which is PC (Intel) only, so yes you'd have a problem trying to reset it.
    Actually my point was more that the guy you were dealing with regards to the ram chips didn't know squat about Macs.

8. robbiebox thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha

Ahh ok, I see where you are coming from, thanks for that.

Hang on a mo that must mean I also know squat about macs :eek:
    Which about right.. but I`m learning and really enjoying this whole Apple thing.