RAM causing overheat/WoW crashes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gwyddia, May 19, 2008.

1. Gwyddia macrumors newbie

Here's a fun one.

I have a month-old MBP 2.5. I immediately upgraded it with 4GB of RAM from our good friends at Crucial that I had harvested from my 17" MBP.

Both the 17" and the 15" tend to get very warm and both of them locked entirely after a while of playing World of Warcraft.

I bought the Targus cooling pad with the built-in fans and used it for my 15". This worked for a while - kept things cool, no problems. After about a week or so, though, not only did the 15" occasionally lock up, but I occasionally saw lots of nasty screen artifacts and heard some unpleasant whirring noises.

Thank goodness for AppleCare, right? I called Apple and they had me reset the P-RAM and try playing WoW for another hour. Same deal. I sent the system to Apple and received it back today with the following service descriptions:

607-2186 FAN ASSY, LT, M87
    607-2187 FAN ASSY, RT, M87
    016-0002 REMOVE: UNQUALIFIED PART

So they replaced the fans and yanked my memory, saying it didn't pass muster. I work as a sales consultant at an Apple-friendly store, so I've heard the "unqualified part" business 1000 times. I put the RAM back in, started up WoW and, lo and behold, an hour later it locked up and crashed all over again.

My question is, is it ACTUALLY the RAM for once? Is there a known problem with WoW? Is there something else I'm missing here?

Thanks for reading/responding.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm they replaced you fans and found that didn't solve anything, so they removed you memory and probably tested with their's and it solved the problem. Don't you have the original RAM the computer came with to test with?

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Here's alittle trick, type this in WoW:
    /console maxfps 30

This will lock your FPS @ 30 (can be changed to another number) it makes my MBP run alot cooler

4. Gwyddia thread starter macrumors newbie

Original RAM

Sadly, I don't. I (foolishly) gave my original memory to a friend after I did the upgrade.

I will try the 30 FPS thing, though.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you ask this friend to lend you the RAM back to test your computer with?

And these third party RAMs have warranties; why not get yourself a replacement.

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

It's not the RAM from the sounds of it. It's the fact that the thermal paste isn't applied correctly. You can try and reapply it, if you want.