RAM compatability check (2011 13") please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Switcher2011, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Switcher2011 macrumors newbie

Switcher2011

Hi guys,

I'm waiting to take delivery of my 2011 13" i5 MBP. Once I've had it a while (enough to get used to how it 'feels') I'll be upgrading it to an SSD. No point doing it any sooner - I won't feel the benefit of upgrading (it's my first Mac).

I still want to upgrade the RAM to 8GB though. Is the following compatible? I know Apple generally use Hyinx RAM but I can't find any that isn't on "pre-order only" here in the UK. This seems suitable though, I think(??).

Can anyone please advise? Thanks in advance. :)

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

3. Switcher2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Switcher2011

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Money definitely is an object - I'm not paying over three thousand for an SSD lol I'm UK based anyway, so NewEgg isn't for me. :)

I'll be buying an OCZ Vertex 3 (6Gbps SATA III) drive when the time comes. I won't be putting it into the optibay though, that port is only SATAII (3Gbps) whereas the hdd bay is a SATA III (6Gbps) port.

If you have an ssd and a hdd and want to use both, then you should always put the ssd in the hdd bay, and the standard hdd into the optibay. That way you maximise the speed potential of the ssd. :)

4. zer0sum macrumors member

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Check a video on youtube on how to get a 3.5" drive in the optibay. It is possible.

6. dutkutug macrumors newbie

Hi Switcher2011
    Have you got the Corsair 8gb ram? any problems?

7. Switcher2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Switcher2011

No, I'm afraid I haven't done it yet. I've been very ill and just haven't gotten around to it (kidney failure sucks lol). Loving my new MBP though, and also Parallels; which incidentally I use for Linux VMs, not Windows. I haven't needed to go back to Win7 for anything which is always a good sign. :D

I'll update the thread when I'm able to get around to the upgrade. :)

8. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i literally just put mine in 5 min ago. The upgrade from 4 to 8 is very noticeable for me. Boots up faster, no lag time anytime in gaming, and i can do much more multi-tasking