Ram Configuration (and Photoshop Advantages)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ungraphic, May 12, 2008.

1. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I've currently got a first generation mac pro with 2gb or ram (512x4)

Newegg is selling 1gb sticks of ram for $43:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208199

Which is a good deal, (a REAL good deal). As is this:

2gb stick for $74:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208200

The only problem is, whats the best way to buy RAM in my situation? I'd like to have at least 4gb of ram installed, and I heard its best to have ram setup in pairs on the two riser cards. How should I go about this best? Im thinking of either buying 2gb or 4gb extra for my computer, but at 4 x 1gb I then would have all my slots taken up. I dont feel like spending the over $100 on ram. And Im also looking at what will give me the best performance if indeed everything has to be in pairs (can I have 1 and 512 + 512 in riser A and the same for riser B? will the performance be optimal or should all sticks of ram be equal, for example 1gb + 1gb in riser A and B, and does it matter if its in 3 + 3 sticks per riser card?)

Any suggestions?

----

Part two of my inquiry is this: since CS3 is still a 32 bit application, and takes advantage of only about 3gb of RAM usage per application, does the memory usage max out at 3gb? I'm mainly looking at giving photoshop the maximum ram possible, and am curious to know what the option is when having more than 3gb of ram available....(though, i know it wont make a difference).

Thanks!

2. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Buy 2x 2gb sticks, or better yet 2x 4gb if you can afford it. More ram is always good. RAM cycles & having mor ram than it needs means that ram is always ready to read, & you don't need to wait for the cycle. Meaning ram is continually being fed into the cycle as ram is being released, thus the machine lags less.

4. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

can you explain ram cycles a little further?

i get the feeling 2x2gb of ram performs better than 4x1gb of ram

no?