RAM configuration.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Jun 28, 2011.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Another question, if I upgrade my RAM to an extra 4GB Crucial (2x2GB)..

Will it work as I currently have 3 out of the four RAM slots used with 3x1GB on both sides totalling 6GB. And there is 1 slot on both sides free that I would look to put the 2GB stick in...

So, having 3x1GB + 1x2GB on both sides on the processor tray, will it be ok as its not in pairs or such?

RTJ

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Yes, it should work. If the computer complains on the start-up, then adjust the sticks accordingly.

3. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I found some cheap stick brand new on ebay, they are 1GB so if I added two it would boost my computer to 8GB, would that be sufficient or should I go for the Crucial and total 10GB?

The MP is going to be used mainly for Adobe MS.

RTJ

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The MP will be happier if it is given more memory. If you can afford it, you'd definitely go for 10 GB. I now have 16 GB from OWC on my 2010 6-core MP.

5. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for the replies buddy, much appreciated.

RTJ

6. NightSun macrumors member

Hi Rip-the-jacker,

It is best to add as much RAM as you can within your financial limits, Photoshop can well utilize 16 GB with increased performance. You also have the dual socket machine with 8 slots, so up until 8x4 GB = 32 GB, the memory upgrade is quite inexpensive, as these all can be Unbuffered ECC DIMMs. If one would need even more, then only Registered DIMMs are available at higher capacity (8/16 Gb sticks) and these cannot be mixed with other types, so up from 32 GB it will cost quite much.

7. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info NS, how are you finding your new MP, personally I think its awesome, i think with a fasted HDD and some more Ram it will scream!

RTJ

8. NightSun macrumors member

Yes, it is, a great machine. I'm awaiting for my SSD to arrive, and already installed 4x4 GB Crucial RAM. However, I ran into the problem regarding CPU exchange (you can see the thread about it that I just launched). But I must admit that for multi-threaded applications, which are capable of utilizing all 8 cores the original 2.26 CPUs are really fast.