Ram consumed by preview

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plinko1, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Plinko1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i'm a macbook pro 13" user. The macbook has 8gb of ram, but when i open a 30-35mb pdf with default program of apple, Preview, the free ram falls down, and the swap area increase to almost 1gb! Is that a my problem or is this a pdf format problem? Has anyone ever had the same problem? I think 8gb isn't too much, but my brother has got a 2011 macbook pro 15 with 4gb of ram, and working with autocad he never has that problem! Waiting for answer. thanks
    PS. Sorry for my english, i'm an italian boy!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I always found preview to be terrible for resource use, just use a different pdf app, I use one called skim it's great and free or at least it was.

Here it is yep still free...

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

3. Plinko1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for reply, i've just downloaded skim and i will try it. The first impression is that skim is less reactive and fluid than preview, but if skim consume less ram than preview i will use it anyway!

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Is it fine with other PDFs??

Sometimes it's just the way the PDF has been put together that causes problems.

5. Plinko1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The most of my PDFs "lag" when i scroll, but some it's ok. Is a my macbook problem? Is my MBP that isn't powerful enough?