RAM consumption

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Superperas, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Superperas macrumors newbie

Since I installed Lion I've noticed a huge RAM consumption that slows down everything. I then installed Mountain Lion that did not solve anything.
    I installed a FreeMemory software to cleana and free some space but it annoys me having to use it continuously.
    I have 4 GB installed, at startup I only have arround 2 GB available and then as I open and close some apps it never fully recovers until I get 10 MB.

Any ideas?

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Update your RAM to 8GB if possible...

I think Moore's law applies to memory consumption too... :). New OS releases will consume more RAM, GPU, CPU resource,... etc

3. dusk007, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not that there would be any difference between SL or Lion in that respect but you do understand that inactive RAM is also free RAM?
    Available RAM = free + inactive

No tool could help you free actually used RAM anyway.

Moorse Law never applied to memory consumption really.
    In the past more memory was always better. There was no steady increasing need. There was a constantly a lot more need that supply. It was a battle to not use too much RAM.
    Today there is essentially more than enough. The only increasing demand comes from new aglroithms that trade memory space for processing power assuming the latter is lacking.
    Swapping used to be the normal now people complain about minimal swapping that doesn't hurt the least. Especially since SSDs only hyper sensitive people even notice swapping when it occurs. Barely anybody actually uses many GB of RAM. You use the foreground apps and loose some split seconds if a background app that you switch too is swapped in. The same is if you have 12 raw pictures open. You usually only work on one and an SSD can swap in at 400MB/s which is as fast as RAM was when it was still scarce.
    There is not really that much increasing RAM demand. Just hypersensitive people.
    Also there is a lot of lazy careless programming but that is justified given how much RAM we do have. With all the mobile industry RAM demand is also decreasing slightly because mobile apps don't have the same ressources. Windows 8 uses less than before. Windows 7 used less than Vista.
    OSX is a bad example. iOS, Android all take more care.