RAM, corsair for mac vs not for mac ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ruZZ.il, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ruZZ.il macrumors member

I know there are plenty ram threads, and I've gone over most of them.. just seeking some confirmation on things though.
    I was about to order "CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model VSA2GSDSKIT667D2 - Retail" from newegg, and they just sold out.
    I'm wondering if "Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail", which is basically the same, but not marked "for mac", and almost 10$ cheaper, is alright (macbook). spec-wise, it seems fine.. anyone with some experience with this? Much appreciated. Thanks.
    Russ

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Personally I would only go for RAM that is explicitly stated to be Apple compatible. I don't think it was worth any potential problems (and it may well work 100% fine for you) just to save $10.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Perhaps try PMing CanadaRAM. As the CEO of CanadaRAM and the resident RAM expert here on MacRumors, he would deifnitely be able to help you out.

In general though, I highly recommend only buying RAM which is 100% guaranteed to work with Macs and has a lifetime warranty along with a fair return policy.

4. ruZZ.il thread starter macrumors member

I really agree. I'm only doing this cause they're out of stock on the "for mac" corsair, and I'd still like to order from newegg cause the have a bunch of other stuf I'm looking for. On the other hand, its not like crucial is a "no name brand" memory. they just don't have that "for mac". isn't this the same principle we all go buy about getting non apple memory to begin with? I'm just wondering if anyone here had experience with these specific modules.

Thanks for the responses so far :)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For what it's worth, this is also a lot of valuable information in our RAM Guides here on MacRumors, such as this one and this one. :cool:

6. ruZZ.il thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.. I went out on a limb and got the crucial. all the specs look right and I found quiet a few references to success with these sticks online. I'm getting pairs for 3 macbooks, so I'll update with progress :D (international, so its all going to take a while anyway).

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, I hope things work out well for you with your purchase. :)

Any other questions, just ask...

8. ruZZ.il thread starter macrumors member

Update: All 3 pairs of the Crucial RAM (link on first post) that I got were successfully installed in 3 C2D 2.16Ghz macbooks with no problems at all. Easily Fit, immediately recognized. I'll probably be ordering more of these now for some more friends. I'd also like to add that my girlfriends 1.5Ghz core solo is so much happier with a leftover gig and Leopard. It's like a new machine :) for what she does with it, its great.